AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

Yes, both Dan and Betsy appeared at the same time.   As I meant to say, Betsy was the person to whom Dan would ask for advise in his attraction to Brooke and the attraction that Devon had for him.

Dan was a student at Pine Valley University, and Betsy had already graduated from nursing school by the time that she came to Pine Valley to work at the hospital.  That would mean that Betsy was probably older than Dan.

Dan, then Betsy, came after the death of Mary and after Jeff had moved away from Pine Valley.  Dan left town prior to the departure of Betsy.

All three of them were gone when Katie came to town.

I think that this is the way that the Frame family on NBC's Another World were introduced by Agnes Nixon.

Steve came to town first as a wealthy man who would mention his family back home.   Later, Janice came to town but then left.    Steve continued to be a character.   I cannot remember if he had been pronounced dead by the time that Willis came to town or not.   (I think that Steve may have still been on the show.)   Later Otis (who changed his name to Vince) and Sharlene came to town.  The sister named Emma appeared briefly, and her daughter (Steve's niece) Molly came to town later.  Molly's sister Frankie was seen later.  Jason also came later.

Agnes Nixon only had Steve on the show while she wrote it.  Other writers added these other relatives.

It was said by actor George Reinholt when he first joined the cast of One Life to Live (as Tony #1) that Agnes Nixon was great in that she would mention things about her characters that meant really nothing but later would provide a mechanism to add new characters to a show years later.

I think that members of Ava Rescott's family on Loving were gradually added in the same manner.

Edited by danfling

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Per imdb, Rosemary Murphy appeared as Eileen Kennicott circa 1970.

Of course it may or may not be accurate.

Please register in order to view this content

My assumption is that she may have appeared as Mary's mother for the wedding of Jeff and Mary...

@danfling were the Kennicotts old friends/neighbors of the Martins?

• Members

I remember Katie Kennicott and the triangle between Joey and Emily Ann. Greta Lind, who played Katie, wasn't the strongest actress and I think that hampered the character growth of Katie.

It would have been nice to see a new generation of Kennicotts in the 2000s.

• Members

Concerning Connie Wilkes:

I am sure that it was always planned for Connie to be an imposter for Silver.

Silver had been mentioned many years earlier, so her existence (and that of Goldie) was known.

This was almost the same plotline that Agnes Nixon had used when she was writing The Guiding Light.  Back in 1967 or so, a character who claimed to be Tracy Delmar was introduced.  (Victoria Wyndham played this character).   She was the niece of Dr. Sara McIntyre (then played, I think, by Patricia Roe).  It was later learned that this girl/woman was not actually not Tracy but another person named Charlotte Waring.   Dr. McIntyre had not ever met or had not seen the actual Tracy for many years.   But, in the case of Tracy/Charlotte, Tracy had actually died in another town with Charlotte taking advantage of the situation and deciding to pose as Tracy after she traveled to Springfield.

The audience of All My Children did not learn that Connie was the imposter when Erica found out the truth.  It was known pretty quickly that she was an imposter.

• Members

Yes, Connie certainly was more interesting!

I remember that the real Silver was eventually murdered, but I do not remember who killed her.  Part of the storyline was that Palmer rolled her dead body in carpet and disposed the carpet and dead body.   He and Erica remained friends due to this.

But, I think that a better plotline would have been that Silver did not die, and Palmer told Silver to leave town.   Palmer would have then told Erica that he dispensed with Silver's body (although she was not really dead).   Palmer could have used blackmail at times in the future storylines to get Erica to help him with all the things that he plotted.

Edited by danfling

• Members

Silver was insecure about her boyfriend Jeremy's feelings for Natalie. Erica encouraged Silver to scheme (she did not know just what Silver would be doing). Silver began stalking Natalie, who was still traumatized from her rape. Natalie bought a gun and shot an intruder, who turned out to be Silver dressed up in black (I think). Palmer helped her cover up the killing - I think a condition being she had to get involved with him. When the truth came out, Palmer went to prison for a while.

Silver was a bust, but I don't think there was any reason to kill her off. I wonder if this was another scab writer decision.

@vetsoapfan will remember in more detail but I believe it was said a source of tension between Reinholt and Rauch/Lemay was that in Nixon's version of the story, Steve had no family - they were all dead. When Emma arrived, Steve revealed to Alice that he had lied about his family because he wanted to move away from his poor background. 

The only reason I remember anything about Betsy is because back in the day we were confused about whether Carla Dragoni was in an Intervention episode about a former actress with severe alcohol issues.

• Members

During Agnes Nixon's tenure, Steve came to Bay City as a debonair, well-off business man, fashioned after Cash McCall (a character from 1960's film of the same name), according to George Reinholt. Steve originally had no family ties.

Later, Lemay created revisionist history for the character, inventing previously-unheard-of relatives, most of whom were not well off. Soap operas often foist insta-relatives onto existing characters, and I could tolerate the idea that Steve had lied about having no kin because he wanted to distance himself from his roots, so I grew to accept the sudden changes.

Steve's sister, Emma Ordway appeared on AW first, in 1972, briefly played by the divine Beverlee McKinsey.

Janice Frame, Steve's and Emma's sister, came to Bay City later that same year.

Willis, another Frame brother, arrived in early 1975.

These were the only Frame relatives to be introduced while George Reinholt was still on the show.  Sharlene was introduced in 1975, the year Reinholt was fired, but she arrived in the fall, after Steve was gone.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

This is the only show I will dye waiting for episodes to become available to watch full years. I will never stop waiting. 

Please register in order to view this content