AMC: Lorraine Broderick named Headwriter

• Members

Hmm. I don't know if I agree. Well yes, beyond the word "brand" there is "icon", and each show has its icons. But looking at an afternoon of ABCD, there is a distinct tone to each show. Problem is, this is ephemeral PARTICULARLY in the case of OLTL which has been at least four different shows in the last 20 years alone. But yeah, soap viewers are a collective group to outsiders, to begin to dissect what makes a Y&R fan a Y&R fan, a GH fan a GH fan, not so sure that's of paramount interest to TPTB. I'm sure they're more concerned with *if* you're watching than *why* you're watching.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

ABC Daytime, like every division within ABC is given a yearly budget. From that yearly budget, money A is delegated to this soap, money B is delegated to that soap and money C is delegated to that other soap. Each year, money A and money B gets dried up quicker than a momma gives birth. Money C, meanwhile, is spread out across the full year leaving enough dollars left over to be used on outside of the box projects and the luxury of retaining seemingly expensive talent long after their welcome on that other soap. The soap with money A is reportedly over budget, but in reality is in fact within budget, is unable to spend at their leisure any of the remaining balance of their yearly budget. The soap with money B, however, ignores budgetary concerns and steamrolls through their yearly budget and when they find themselves in the red, they start firing the unexpected.

Now in English, ABC Daytime has a yearly operating budget. That budget is then handed out to AMC, GH, and OLTL. There are monies left over for ABC Daytime itself and The View, of course. Depending on their ad revenue, a set amount of money is delegated to AMC, GH and OLTL. While one show is said to be under budget, the reality is they are all under budget. The only thing that separates OLTL from the rest is that it is severely under budget compared to AMC and GH. The reason? OLTL films episodes by sets and not in an ordered sequence. The show literally can film a scene in early February and another scene in early March for an episode that doesn't even air until mid-April (they just did this, which is why I'm using this example) just because they filmed by set. GH and AMC along with Y&R are the ONLY soaps currently still following a 3-4 week film before air schedule. DAYS is ahead by 2 months due to their budgetary issues, OLTL films out of sequence and B&B is about 5-6 weeks ahead (sometimes 4). In the end, OLTL does NOT pay for GH's overspending for example. ABC does not pull money from that show to give to GH whenever GH wants it. That mindset is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The same goes for AMC.

• Members

Now that a new head writer has been put in place at AMC, OLTL is sadly finished. Of course, just last week I predicted that there would be no way that AMC would ever be cancelled before OLTL. Back then, just about everybody else was in denial about this, and--even now--there are those who still are trying to give themselves false hope that OLTL won't be cancelled first.

• Members

You "predicted it" AFTER no announcement was made last week, lol, despite some websites saying it would happen within two days as of last Monday. Notice you didn't make that pronouncement until the so-called "deadline" for the announcement had passed. :lol:

Archived