• Members

Seeing how Angie/Jessie are getting a bb swap s/l and Jessie actually has gotten away w/ murder, I doubt race plays anything anymore. We have latino no-heat w/ Kendall, Cara the spicy exciting hot mexicana who is in the Martins life, and they were actually focusing on the Hubbards in this s/l. I think people forget, it's a soap..it's like you're reading a book only watching it happen. If the story is gripping, and entertaining, that's the whole f'n point. My issue is when the s/l makes no sense for the character and when it just drags down the show. And that's not what this s/l does to the Hubbards, this s/l is material that focuses on them. Makes you relate to Angie/Jessie's story.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1

I have loved Jesse this entire week and I have not been able to say that for a long time. I loved Jesse back in the day and it has made me sad to watch Jesse become a caricature also. Yes, Jesse did something wrong. But it doesn't compare to Babe as much as some think IMO.

This story is going to eventually include Tad, the Chandlers, and Asher, too. It would be soapy to have say JR and/or Bianca discover the truth somehow and that make wounds from the last babyswitch come forth. I bet eventually Maya wants the baby back and Colby asks JR to see what he can do.

• Members

Not wanting to see it is more like it.

Actually their being AA DID matter.

It was one of the first time Daytime wrote minority characters AS minority characters as well as like everyone else.

Their Blackness wasn't ignored to make White People feel safe like it is now.

Race played a role from Day 1.

It's the reason Jesse ended up with Angie instead of Jenny, it's why Opal didn't like Jesse, it's why Liza got away with blaming Jesse for rape & why Les didn't want Angie with Jesse.

The audience didn't accept Angie & Jesse BECAUSE of their Blackness or in spite of their Blackness but because they were Jesse & Angie.

Only for them to return to AMC & be continually character assassinated while the audience eagerly accepts it because they prefer the existing racist paradigm of Daytime & their own bigotry than deal with the real issues.

This is totally different in that AMC is setting the Minority Man (Jesse) up to take the fall (as usual) while the Black Woman (Angie) plays pseudo Mammy role to the rest of the town.

No they're not.

If it were such a popular story as you assert it would've been given to other supercouples over time but it hasn't.

Bo & Hope celebrated TOGETHER. Luke & Laura celebrated TOGETHER. Viki & Clint celebrated TOGETHER.

None of them were forced to give their "soulmate" a dead baby.

The audience grieved & celebrated with them as a UNIT instead of eagerly waiting for them to "be punished".

Keep justifying.

It makes AMC's impending cancellation that much better. :)

Pretty much!

• Members

Kate Hall wrote a beautiful script from start to finish. Even the medical stuff Cara was explaining to Angie made sense. Usually I'm like "WTH are they talking about?" in those situations but it was written so clearly & easily, I completely understood why Angie lost baby Ellie and I appreciate the show for explaining. I'm glad it seems like some real thought was put into all of this.

Love seeing Natalia on screen again and loved hearing her say she has more reason to make more "visits". Ugh maybe I'm being gullible here but I actually believed her & think we'll see more of Shannon Kane (& not in long increments). There's something about Cornelius Smith Jr., the way he portrays Frankie just makes me smile! He is great. Denise Vasi (I am LOL & Clear Drama calling her "Denise Vaseline" in this thread, was that a mistake?) kind of seemed to just be "there" in the hospital scenes today...

I am so glad we agree again about Kendall, I cheered when Greenlee said that cause it was so true! Kendall really does seem like herself again. I love it.

I'm enjoying them to. They are hastily roping me in. Their scenes at ConFusion today were fantastic.

As for Zach, I really really like him, but I just do not want him back anymore. Basically, I'm over him & I think Kendall is a lot better w/out him.

She's great, I like her to. She has such raw talent, IMO...wonder how she'll be once things subside a little bit and before we know it she'll be living in the Chandler Mansion. I knew that the minute Asher gave her JR's card, LOL. Anyway, I continue to look forward to more of this girl...

Trent Garrett continues to suck.

Yes, watch it! And maybe Wednesday's ep to (if you're in a really good mood cause it was written by you know who ;-P)

• Members

Well, I'm definitely not in a good enough mood to deal with Ms. Taylor, so I'll bypass that episode. I'm sure in her blatant and failed attempt to be "edgy," she had at least one character say "ass." But if this is a Kate Hall scripted episode, hopefully the characters won't sound like nails on a chalkboard.

• Members

I'll give you a heads up. It wasn't great, the whole epi. but what they wrote the past 2 days was more what the soap opera genre was about. The twist and turns, and emotion. Everything except for that red headed pain in the ass that David procreated w/ Kwak. dry.gif

I'm not gonna label her great. But yes she needs to be written to talk to JR not Asher. For that character's own good.

It's less visible, but still there.

• Members

I loved the episode. Deedee, I do agree with you that what was great about Angie and Jesse were they were universal AND black--so I think I get what you're saying but I don't with this storyline. At all. It's about time they gave Angie and Jesse a dramatic, soap, storyline--one that so far is being played out way better tyhan Pratt's mess with Jesse'ss secret wife. If you think this is an example of racism in soaps then you prob objected to a lot of Jesse and Angie stories (I mean having her dad who happened to be black be a criminal and a baby peddler??) I think you're grasping in this case, though I usually agree with you on these issues.

It's a classic soap storyline and it's powerful because it's done using two characters audiences have a history with and a hell of a lot of affection for.

• Members

I understand why you've lost faith in them being able to deal with a minority story any other way, but I think you're jumping the gun. They've gone out of their way--more in fact than often they do with these stories--to make it clear why Jesse did what he did and to keep him completely sympathetic with audiences. I don't see the town turning against him at all--in fact I wouldn't be surprised if much of the town fights to let them keep the baby if the story does go in the direction of the babymommy wanting her back I'd actually bet money on that.

(And Jesse was barely "punished" for his other wife... I'm not sure where with these characters your complaint really comes from).

Ha sorry I misread you! We agree for once ;)

• Members

SOME viewers here have but people have said the same about Tad for eons (granted what he did was IMHO worse than what Jesse has done). Still, even with stories like his secret wife, covering up a murder for Randi, most fans still seem to love Jesse--even with complaints of Darnell's acting. I really don't see where you're coming from in this case.

By that theory it's even less likely Jesse will get in any trouble from this, since he hasn't for any thing in the past that was against the law he may have done. Good point ;)

• Members

Your example of someone being off a show for doing far less than a white character still on was OLTL, a show that has had a lot of problem with minorities for a long time now, and you compared Greg--a character no one much liked from the start, who was never given ANY depth or faith by the writers, with Todd a character that inexplicably is on 24/7. AMC seems to know that they have a very popular couple with Angie and Jesse and while they haven't focused on them as much as I'd like--we still see them more than nearly any other minority couple on a soap right now, and they've quickly become the "go to" dependable couple on the show. It's about time they get a key story that shakes them up but, I suspect and hope, ultimately makes them stronger and one that they can play out as a couple (ie not a secret affair, etc).

Archived