The Voice: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I only watch the seaons Shakira and Usher are on because I cant deal with the other two they replace. I love the audition episodes but the show sort of loses me soon after with these silly knock out rounds where people sing in a boxing ring. Anyway, I liked the guy who sang Twisting The Night Away and the other guy who sang Me And Mrs Jones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

My mom loves watching The Voice and while I enjoy it, I just never watch it, lol. The talent always seems better than on Idol.

I'm just wondering why ratings are falling if the talent is so good. Maybe two seasons a year is a bit much?

• Members

IDK. I thought AI was dipping more drastically than TV. I think it's really interesting that nothing ever seems to happen with the contestants when the shows end. Maybe I'm just missing it because I'm not really up on the music scene at all. But to my knowledge, there've been no real break out stars like a Kelly Clarkson or Catherine McPhee etc.

Another thing is the difference in the judges/coaches. The Voice has a marquis of younger, hipper, coaches (of course that's based on my admittedly limited awareness about what is hip in music these days), but the talent on The Voice seems to skew a lot older. They have some very young talent, but then there are a lot of their singers that are much older with families, etc. While on AI, the judges seem to be older and not really "current" hot commodities. Keith Urban may be the exception but I don't think JLo or Harry Connick Jr. are showing up on the Grammy Stage a lot, or MTV, etc. But the talent seems to skew much younger.

• Members

I know English isnt Shakira's first language and this is snobby, but someone really needs to explain the word "unique" to her. She's told so many artists that they have "one of the most unique voices in the competition". That's an oxymoron. Something is either unique, meaning one of a kind, or it isn't. It can't be "most" unique. There's only one. It certainly can't be "one of the most". Aaaaarrrrrghhh. Sorry for the rant. Pet peeve.

Archived