OLTL: Discussion for the week of February 28

• Members

LOL. It took me a while to figure out who you were talking about. Yes, of course, poor put upon Blair. Funny, I've always seen Blair as the eternally propped one. How many characters were destroyed to support the fiction of Blair as Scarlett O'Hara? Fortunately those days are over. Unfortunately, Natalie has replaced Blair as the pathologically selfish, chronically unemployed, codependent freak that we're ordered at gunpoint to see as some kind of plucky heroine.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did you see her that way at the time of the story? To me they had Blair as the villain of the story, while she was near-death and then recuperating for months, because she was angry at Kelly. They even had everyone else but Blair immediately say it was fine for Kelly to have covered up the accident for months. Then they had Blair making quasi-racist remarks about Tea and shoving her out a window, with Tea hobbling into court as the martyr of the ages. Just to remind once and for all who the sympathetic characters were, they had Kelly nobly testify in court that Todd deserved sole custody of Starr.

I honestly can't remember a time when GT's Kelly has ever been written in a negative light. Even when she was sleeping with Kevin while married to Joey, the writing presented this as fated love and Joey as a moron.

• Members

Yep. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't loving Kelly then either, mainly because she waited WAY too long to own up to what she did but Blair ran through my sympathy pretty quickly. But I have to be honest, KdP's Blair has always burned through my sympathy. I know this is heresy but Mia Korf brought a vulnerability to Blair that Kassie has never been able to recapture. Where MK played Blair as wounded, KdP has IMO always played her as desperate and I've always found that desperation offputting.

Conversely Blair's "quasi racist" treatment of Tea while not attractive was IMO very authentic. I know that the Blarians felt terrible betrayed because Scarlett got thrown under the bus for Chiquita but I've always said that it made character sense for someone like Blair to resort to casual racism. After all she was raised in a series of foster homes and clawed her way up from nothing or so we've been told. Are we supposed to believe that somewhere between tracking down the family of her rape victim mom and learning to use her body as currency Blair attended diversity seminars? The real failing wasn't the name calling but the fact that the show never examined what was behind it. Of course if Blair were still half Asian, it would make the whole "Chiquita" thing pretty funny.

• Members

I see what you mean - I often dislike characters with sympathetic writing because of the actor. I just wondered if you felt that the writing was trying to make her sympathetic.

If they'd explored Blair's comment then I would have seen it as an interesting story, but at the time I felt like it was just sort of "she's a racist, boo hiss" and that was about all. A story about classism and internalized racism and so on with Tea is something I kept waiting for in her first run but they never went there. Now I know they won't because everything is so jokey/plot-driven.

• Members

That's pretty funny considering Kelly was the most obnoxious character on the canvas to much of the audience until she started doing John. I've always hated her long before this so I feel free to say I'm sick of the whitewashing of all Kelly's sins to prop her. She equates her pain over Joey marrying his fiance on John's wedding day with John's pain over finding out Liam is not his son? And Kelly bonds with John because she knows how it feels to lose a child because she had to give up ACE? Who she knew from day one wasn't her son because her brother kidnapped him so she could pass him off as Kevins? Natalie isn't being propped . Kelly is.

All three characters are being written horribly at the moment.

• Members

Aubrey always feels like punishment for people who hated Stacey. At least Stacey only interacted with a few characters, mainly, characters who pretty much sucked (Gigi/Rex). Aubrey is an albatross to what should be interesting stories.

• Members

Not only that, but we were supposed to hate Stacy, for the most part. Every single promo I've seen with Stacy painted her as "Gigi's mean sister" and/or as "that evil slut trying to ruin everything that Rex and Gigi have." She was used to prop Rex/Gigi, just like Adriana, Brody, and Sky were. And every single person in Llanview hated Stacy. Just about, at least. I don't see that with Aubrey, that's for sure. Aubrey is being forcefed on us, but at least she's not another Hannah O'Connor, even though Hannah mostly interacted with characters who suck as well (Cole/Starr/James). But poor Susan Haskell and poor Matt Walton (even though Eli became such a cartoon character) had to share scenes with her...

I agree with what people have been saying about Kelly. I've only been watching since '05, but I certainly know about "sonfucker", since that was all Higley. And that's just the tip of it, since I went back to look at clips of Kelly from '97, and read up on her history because I was wondering what she's done that was so awful. I hate everything that she's done to Kevin, Blair, and even Joey, but this time around she's being written very differently. But the whole pie thing last week was just beyond pathetic. Especially now that she's sleeping with John yet again, even though Natalie keeps threatening her and clearly wants another chance with that pig. So then again, she's not being written very differently from the old days.

I don't think Natalie is being destroyed. MA gets so much press, and many of the promos are centered around Natalie/John. And let's be honest, she's almost always on at least 4 days a week. And Viki (the voice of reason, according to ABC Daytime) has been saying what a wench Kelly is for sleeping with the man that Natalie loves. I don't see anyone mad at Natalie now, except John (and in this case, I think it's supposed to be biased because of his "grief".) Tess doesn't count, since she's certainly not supposed to be a reliable narrator (she's "CAH-RAZY"), and she's not after Natalie right now anyway.

As much as I hated everything about Higley, I have to say that her TESS is far better constructed than anything Ron's dished out with Tess. I enjoy Bree Williamson's sarcastic mugging as Tess, especially when Tess insults Ford and hates him as much as I do, but Tess has become such a cartoon under RC. And now she's being used to attempt to make viewers pity Ford. Tess gets to be the angry voice of the viewers for now, and I really hope she's pulling one over on him just like she did with her "Tess prank" with Jared, but that could change, since Ford is the show's idea of a romantic leading man. Who wouldn't fall in love with him?

Ford, James, Todd, and John are my biggest problems with OLTL. Any time Starr is around James, she becomes one of my biggest problems too.

And I couldn't care less about this new girl people are talking about. Considering how unbearable Hannah was, and what a waste of space Michelle is, I'm not looking forward to more teen girls, especially in the orbit of Starr/James. I could never stand Starr/Cole (especially with the atrocious musical and how Cole treated Starr during the godawful "Hannah story" when he kept taking the little wench's side over Starr's), but Starr has just lost about all of her spark. The only time I care about her anymore is when she has scenes with Blair, and those are far and few between.

• Members

Natalie sure as hell isn't being propped. The show has other people prop Jolie because they still don't know if they are through with them yet, but in the meantime Natalie has dug herself a hole so deep I honestly don't see the light yet. And John doesn't seem to give a crap. That's not propping.

She's done the worst stuff in this and doesn't have anything to hide behind like being crazy. Even Brody is more propped than Natalie. After all, he didn't know Liam was his because Bad Natalie lied to him, too.

If the people she wronged had forgiven her, I'd say she was being propped. But John and Jessica both think she's a worthless whore, so I don't see how that's being propped. John is defending Kelly, sleeping with her in Nat's face and not caring at all that it hurts Natalie. That's not propping. How is it propping when Nat-haters are creaming themselves on a daily basis?

I suppose for people who hate Natalie, it's propping if the whole town isn't lining up to stone her. Those people won't be happy until Natalie is burned alive. By John. While Lima watches and laughs.

As for her parents, it took 9 years for them to fully support her. Yeah, that's some real propping right there.

Also, doesn't everyone say John has treated Nat like [!@#$%^&*] and doesn't love her? And yet she's still begging him to forgive her. How is that propping?

Kelly isn't being propped either, but she IS being protected with really stupid writing. Maybe that's the same thing? I don't know.

The one being propped is JOHN MCBAIN. Which is why I have no sympathy for him anymore.

Natalie has screwed up and continues to screw up. I want to shake her, but I also love her.

I really hope Brody is Liam's father.

• Members

I don't hate Natalie at all. I'm actually a big fan of hers, but I fail to see how she's being thrown under the bus. Look at how much press and how much screentime MA/Natalie gets. I tend to go by what the promos are trying to say. Natalie is being written as the "Theresa" (character from that awful Passions that I used to watch) of Llanview. I do think John is being propped, but I see this as him being "biased". Well, not exactly, but does anyone really think the show sees John/Kelly together as long term? I don't think so, that's for sure. I still think John is the father of Natalie's baby.

The only other person mad at Natalie is Jessica. And Jessica doesn't even count, since she certainly isn't supposed to be a reliable narrator. If anything, she's definitely supposed to be biased, especially since Tess is OMG THE EVUL, as the writers want people to believe. They even gave Jessica a bumper all about how mentally ill and crazy she is, with the split of Tess and Jessica.

Viki, the voice of Llanview and OLTL, was never mad at Natalie for this. Brody has no problem forgiving her. We get scenes of Natalie bonding with the baby, whether it's Brody's or John's. I wouldn't be surprised if the show tries Brody and Natalie, but then again, Brody will probably be thrown under the bus for Ford, who is truly already giving Todd and John a run for their money. Cole got the same propping too during his whole time on the show before the show finally got rid of him, and that was only because Brandon Buddy had to leave for personal reasons...

If anyone is being thrown under the bus in THIS story, it's Marty. And I don't really think that's happening either. She's sure as hell not being propped, but she's being written as the bitch that she's always been.

• Members

Is the LLANFAIR LIBRARY really the best place to be having this conversation Echo and *Chuckles*? On full voice no less?? You don't know WHO might be home listening. But then, to KISS like that on top of it?? Oh Chahlih Chahlih Chahlih, how could you? You're dead to me.[/Carolyn Hinsey]

Archived