The Oldest set in soaps: Llanfair (OLTL)?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I certainly don't remember Mona's house from when I started watching in '91--she always seemed to be at Linden... I wonder when Phoebe's house was last used...

I actually kinda liked the Martins' new house--the old set seemed kinda cramped (though it was nice when soap sets didn't all look like million dollar houses)--but like I said I think they may have showed it, at most, a handful of times when I watched back then so I had no emotional attachment to it, and prob wouldn't have even recognized it until seeing clips, etc, post the new house.

• Members

Llanfair is the oldest set on One Life to Live but not in soaps as I understand it.

The Lord Library and the entrance to Llanfair have been modified more than once over the years The most significant in recent memory as I recall was the storyline in which Jessica accidentally set Llanfair on fire while lighting a jack-o-lantern. They used that as an excuse to do some major renovations.

The library layout stayed pretty much intact but structurally was improved. The library doors for the longest time would slowly start opening up after a character had closed them and they just kept going like nothing was wrong. The new set (an incarnation of what we see now) has doors that actually stay shut and are made of better material.

Roger Mooney (who redesigned the set) moved the front door to Llanfair and swung the staircase 180 degrees. The foyer used to be a dark brown but is much nicer looking now.

Viki's alter Tori did set fire to Llanfair a few years later but the fire was put out quickly so only minor decorating changes were made after that.

• Members

I don't remember exactly but I think it was around the time Linda Gottlieb began producing the show. I recall Asa's mansion got an update as well as it used to be very dark. Many of the sets got redos or were scrapped and replaced with new ones.

While Dorian's Penthouse was nice, La Boulaie is much brighter.

The structure of the sets seemed to improve significantly. They no longer looked like they were made out of cardboard.

• Members

I would say even though general hospital is the longest running show (1963), none of their sets are that old (a shame!) except for the quartermaine living room and even that isn't really that old and hardly seen now since most of the Q's are either dead or "upstairs". Although Kelly's diner has been around since at least the very early 1980's when Luke and Laura worked there. It's changed some but it's still bascially the same. We just saw it this week when Luke was running it.

so i would say the horton living room which was created in 1965 is the longest set. I know someone said it's been redone but i saw it during Alice's funeral and it looks almost exactly the same as it did in the begining. Next i would say the Llanfair Library on OLTL since 1968. Yes it's been redone countless times but it's bascially the same set with the fireplace in the middle, a desk near the back entry and french doors going into it. then there is the Chancelor living room which hasn't changed at all since 1973 except for maybe furniture.

Sadly All My Children doesn't have any old sets either. It's worst than GH. At least GH has Kelly's and the Q mansion. it was nice though to see the Boutique that Myrtle used to own in the memorial episode when the character died.

Archived