OLTL: Discussion for the week of February 7

• Members

What I hate about Bree and this may be the writing/directing'sn fault as well is that she plays off every emotional scene very childlike. The way she pouts her lips, has her eyes bulge and her crying makes her come across like a little kid. Its very cringeworthy for someone her age. I wonder if thats all her or the TPTB that is directing her to be that way bc Jessica is very emotionally immature and weak. She is fragile and the way Bree plays her I guess highlights that. I dont know, but I just find it annoying. Even her happy scenes have her coming across like a schoolgirl

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought that, too. MA was holding up those scenes, and she did the best she could, considering the material was sub par.

ME is terrible, period. He doesn't act with his eyes at all. They really shouldn't do close ups, b/c it's even more noticeable, IMO. John works best when he's a supporting player, who doesn't have to do much acting.

BW left me cold in most of her scenes, while ML was the best, even with a lacklustre script, he's still good. He's definitely an asset to the show.

These revelations reminded me of those Bo/Nora scenes (when she discovered he'd "slept" with Inez), and the clichéd script that they got. Both times the material has lacked heart and a connection to the characters/situations, resulting in the feeling that the material is text book - not truthful - which has given it all an anticlimactic feeling. I was disappointed.

I've also come round to the idea that no Marty, was a good idea, especially with the material and everything. She really wasn't needed.

Why did Kelly stupidly hand that flash drive over to Joey in front of Aubrey & Cutter, without looking at it first? That seemed insane. And the way Cutter switched the USB's was also stupid. That whole quad is stupid.

And now that they've given Ford a solid connection to the canvas, meaning he won't be leaving any time soon (and James is tied to starr), I can only hold out hope that they get rid of Nate at some point. They all need to die painful deaths, but I'll settle for just Nate, as 2 Fords are better than 3.

• Members

Melissa Archer is very lacking and always has been; her 'acting' is thin. All she does is pop her eyes and whine. Her crying scenes are childish, and are akin to this:

dawson_crying.gif

She was NOT the one who held up those scenes. I'm not in love with Michael Easton, but I was more entertained by him than her.

• Members

I don't believe the show wants to emotionally commit to the material they produce. I think this has been going on for quite a while, long before RC took over as headwriter - the stuff with Mitch raping Viki and then Victor's return and Mitch's reign of terror might have been the real start - but it's gotten worse and worse. There is no emotional resonance. Nora was almost raped, and she was terrorized. Jessica was taken advantage of. Bo was drugged and almost raped. None of this seems to matter at all. Bo had a very apathetic reaction, and it has sputtered out. Even more telling is that they actually say it's bad if you have an emotional reaction to things. Clint being upset about Jessica's rape makes him a bad person. Todd and Bo not caring or even sympathizing with Ford makes them good people. The only way you can have an emotional reaction to something is if its played as bad camp, like everything with Jessica. Every time Jessica faces a big tragedy they make it into a joke, and Bree goes along with this. It's never about what actually affects Jessica.

Beyond trying to find anything for Kelly I think they believe Cutter and Aubrey are so-bad-they're-good, they're hot, they're fun, and so on, but I just think they're both cold and pointless.

• Members

LOL, normally I'm not a fan of MA at all in dramatic scenes, however I thought she was fine yesterday. Everyone was fine actually, but those scenes fell flat to me. I actually found it rather boring and it didn't really have any emotional impact, it felt very clinical and technical, like they were all just reciting what happened.

I've felt this way for a while actually, that there is something huge missing from this show. It's entertaining, but it feels like its missing heart. I can be very entertained by it and yet have zero emotional investment in anything that is going on because those quiet, subtle, moments with heart are just missing.

The wedding felt like PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT, just one after another rolling out.

• Members

I've just decided that it was the end of a long shooting day and everybody had been standing around in formalwear and nobody gave a damn anymore which is only made worse by the fact that everything is supposedly done in one take. I know it costs money but when you're doing a big sweeps story, splurge and do a couple of takes. Give the actors a chance to get into the material.

The twin thing "We found out we were pregnant on the same day...we may have conceived on the same day..." has moved from trite to nasty. It's like a fetish. I'm surprised the show didn't put them in identical dresses like the Doublemint Twins.

Archived