2011: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

The flow of the episodes and the character interactions are not naturally motivated, forced, and slapped together.

Outlying factors might contribute to that as well, but again, when its the same breakdown writers whose epsiodes have this problem, I can't help but place some blame on them.

That entire episode has Katherine and Nikki speaking in a very uncharacteristic manner, who are we supposed to blame for the dialogue when its credited to him?

There's nothing wrong with that, but you commented that he got out of a "sinking industry." While soaps are indeed dying in the US, you make it seem as if he's jumping to something more high profile or better.

Can you honestly say his next career move will be higher profile or better than the "sinking industry" he's no longer in?

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Didn't Hackello write a script about JackRabbit or something like that...I remember R. Sinclair mentioning it. Hackello interview with a former SON member is the one that got me boiling. He talked about how he thought so and so were the focus of ATWT..and pretty much not caring for the rest. No wonder ATWT became a hot mess.

• Administrator

Fair enough.

It's easy to blame/praise everything on the script writer. Scripts go through many hands before it is taped. With that said, if you want to blame Tom on those bad scripts, that's perfectly fine. I have no issues with that. All I'm saying is that "cut the crap" line, he didn't write.

Sorry, that's not what I meant. By "sinking industry," I meant that there's less and less shows, and writers will have to find other opportunities.

I don't know. LOL I could care less about it being high profile. If he's happy with his new job, that all that matters.

• Members

A Hogan Sheffer show and fallout? LOL Don't make me laugh. :lol:

Sheffer was another one I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt after he burnt out at ATWT and was an overall mess at DAYS. Then he came to Y&R and did the same exact crap that made him flop at other shows. He's no worse than Megan McTavish. Recycled writer who recycles all his worst stories from soap to soap.

• Members

Sheffer had one good year at ATWT. His second year started falling apart really fast.

Ha...I would have believed you had I not know shw wasnt on the show....lol

At least I tried...I knew you wouldnt give it away...even though it probably still is Hackello.....lol....either that or Hackello lied to you and told you someone else wrote the crap line...lol

• Members

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As I read the last page and a half, I said to myself "Oh, brother... Casiello's being discussed. I hope I don't get dragged into --"

:lol:

Anyway... To your point, it was Miss Nelson Branco who cruised praised Casiello for rhyming Jack Abbot with Black Rabbit.

"Mr. Tom Casiello. In his first Y&R script (he's best known for his breakdown prowess) — and hopefully not his last — the talented scribe penned these doozies: rhyming Jack Abbott with Black Rabbit..."

I simply brought it up as evidence of hyperbole when it comes to this man's writing. And, yes... I watched the entire episode to hear his dialogue in its proper context... without a horny fanboy's biased critique(Freudian typo, I kept writing "fannyboy"). It wasn't anything spectacular. Nor was the outline he wrote for Days of Our Lives he posted on his myspace blog to which someone here linked several years back. It read like a campy fanfic, complete with Sami knocking EJ over in his wheelchair, "What's the matter? Feel helpless? Welcome to my 2007!"

Well, awright, Sami! You tell him, gurl! :rolleyes:

Anyways... it's great that he's so giddy about his upcoming endeavors. Every artist should feel excited about honing his craft, and hopefully the change in atmosphere suits him. I don't begrudge anyone their chance to create. However, this whole Casiello "leaving a sinking industry" shouldn't be touted too loudly as any kind of virtue, either. I'm not saying I think that's what happened. I'm just saying that if people wanna defend him, that notion doesn't do him any favors, either. "Yeah, I basically built my fanbase by talking to the fans... because, at the end of the day, I AM JUST LIKE YOU!"

Then five minutes later, ship springs a leak: "Later, bitches! I'm out!"

Archived