Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

On the Another World board there was discussion about the 1978 Emmy Awards. It got me to thinking, why was Y&R and it's performers never nominated or considered for emmys till the mid 1980's ?

The 70's and early 80's had fantastic actors on the show that was deserving of a nomination. Jeanne Cooper and Brenda Dickson had the major storyline of Jill/Phillip/Katherine. I have heard that Janice Lynde's performance during Leslie's mental breakdown was worthy of an award. Jamie Lyn Bauer had lots of meaty material during her entire time on the show. Y&R it seems was never on the ballot.

• Members

It seems that SB was one of the few exceptions, as it debuted in 1984, got its first nominations in 1986 and then started winning the biggies a couple of years after that - including Best Show three years running. I am surprised, though, that Y&R took so long to get major Emmy attention with someone of Bill Bell's pedigree at the helm.

• Members

Just out of curiosity but did we ever see the Crimson Lights set before 1994? I still don't remember Sharon, Matt, and Amy coming on screen but I do recall having a major WTF moment with seeing Morrow as the aged Nick as little Nick had appeared not too long before that(B&B later did this with Rick).

Y&R had that early Best Show win in 1975 I believe and won again multiple times in the 80s but the acting and writing was overlooked for the most part. Of course competition was stiff at the time--GL, ATWT, AW, and Ryan's Hope were giving their highest output too during those years too. Harding Lemay even gave a famous anecdote that Bell stood up to receive the Outstanding Writing Emmy for either Days and Y&R when in actuality Lemay had won. I believe Tracey Bregman was the first Y&R actor or actress to win an Emmy, while Terry Lester was first to get a nomination.

• Members

I can't believe Dorothy Green who played Jennifer didn't get nominated for the mastectomy story. Her performance blew me away from the episodes I saw above. The scenes where she learns she has cancer and asks the girls to leave her alone for a while and then breaks down and when she wakes up and tells Snapper she doesn't want to live like this is heart wrenching.

• Members

Great to see these episodes.

This is the first time I've seen Tom Selleck,Susan Brown and Paul Stevens on Y&R.

So Susan's character Fran was an old friend of Stu's and a possible romantic interest.Any one know how long she was on and how far her story progressed?

Didn't Lanna Saunders play Mrs Selleck? I know Y&R wanted to sign Tom but he refused so they eventually dropped him. I wonder what story Bill Bell would have played had Jed stayed on. Maybe a variation of the Lance/Lorie story?