Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@SoapDope posted this in the AMC thread. I hope they don't mind me posting it here as Y&R fans might miss it. It is from a 2016 interview with Jack Stauffer

He also talked about being on Y&R (he played Scott Adams in 1979) and said it was the only time in his life he had been fired. He said there was a line in the script that made no sense the way it was written and he decided to correct it. The Executive Producer berated him in front of the cast about saying things as they are written. He told the EP " I guess you don't want a real performance, just a line reading. He was fired 2 weeks later. He didn't mention his name, but I assume it was John Conboy. Stauffer said he disliked him. 

This makes me wonder about how it all works. Does Conboy get on the phone and tell Bill that Stauffer changed the line and had attitude?

I have read before that Bill insisted lines be delivered as written. So Bill decides to drop Scott/Jack? He was just a minor character at that point and might have gone anyway or did Bill think about expanding the role if he liked what he saw onscreen?

The idea of Nikki hooking up with a straight laced guy was then used with Greg.

• Members

At @Paul Raven thanks for sharing, I remember seeing this somewhere before, maybe back 500 pages in this thread lol.

The Scott Adams character is only mentioned the 1978 synopsis. Snapper set up Nikki with the young intern only on  Casey's permission. Nikki couldn't believe he wasn't just interested in her body and felt she was no good to him; Scott convinced her she could be the woman for him if she could change, if she really wanted to. Nikki tried her best with Scott until she slept with her college professor for a grade. Nikki almost dropped out and was going leave town but Brock convinced her to stay in town and in college. Scott is never mentioned in the 1979 synopsis at all; I’m going to guess Stauffer never shared scenes with MTS in the role of Nikki.

Interesting situation, sounds like typical Conboy diva behavior. But it sounds like Scott’s story pretty much ended and was only a minor character with nowhere else to go. 

Interestingly Stauffer later appeared again on Y&R in 1987 in another minor role must have been no hard feelings. 

• Members

do wonder how much influence Bell, who was in Chicago, had in some of those early castings. I seem to recall Bell didn’t know who Braeden was until he saw him on air a few weeks into the role. 

That said I wonder how many others on Y&R ended up getting the wrath of Conboy like poor Stauffer did. 

• Members

In her verbal interview with Archive of American Television, Jeanne Cooper indicates that Bill Bell was nowhere in sight when she auditioned for the role of Kay Chancellor.  She said John Conboy called her, she eventually came in, and she read for John Conboy and that female producer whose name I can't ever remember.  

Possibly, John Conboy overnighted Bill Bell a tape of the audition to his apartment in Chicago, but it wasn't mentioned if he did.

My feeling is Bill Bell was involved (heavily) in the initial casting of the Brooks and Foster families, but after that, casting was handled by John Conboy and that girl. 

I believe John Conboy, as the executive producer, had the ultimate authority to hire & fire people.  Ditto for Wes Kenney.  Once those two executive producers were gone, Bill Bell made sure he ALWAYS had an executive producer credit, making him the ultimate decision-maker on matters like that. 

[Edit --- Patricia Wenig was the female producer's name.] 

Edited by Broderick