OLTL: Discussion for the week November 15

• Members

Speidi. :lol: I don't use this word casually, but God forgive me, I think I hate them. :mellow:

Thanks for the info. Rex, that's a tough egg to crack. Some people in daytime are just blessed with these inexplicable careers, writers just bend over backwards (Shut up, Ma[/DorothyZbornak]) to write for him and make him "work". He never needed to be "fixed" (no pun intended) in the first place. Roxie just wasn't good enough for him, they just HAD to make him a Buke. It's been going on for years now. Of course we all just assumed it would be Bo... then David... now Clint.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the reason the Mitch storyline was postponed so many times is because Frons never truly approved of Rex being "only" Roxy and Mitch's kid - or, as was initially rumored, Roxy and Alison's. He's wanted to make Rex core, and now it's happening, no matter how many stories had to dumped and how many characters had to be tanked. I do think that if this absolutely had to happen, this is the way to do it - I love the Clint/Rex hatred and the storyline as it is, with Echo and Clint.

I'm not going to say Rex is not overhyped and overexposed, and I've often despised him in the last year or two. But I don't want him gone per se because I think there is stuff to do there, that can be done. I think Rex today is best when he's played as a flawed character who wants to do good but is his own worst enemy, and is always in danger of succumbing to his old ways, whether it's criminal behavior or promiscuity. They toyed with this during the Stacy story, and in his original storyline with Gigi and Shane in 2008, but of late it's always been done in a way that is there to ensure the audience that Rex is really a great guy, so much better than that Schuyler or whoever else.

I think what's more compelling is watching people try to change, or fail, or change in ways that make them more compatible. I think the greater drama is in watching Rex struggle to be a good family man on the straight and narrow for his lover and his child, but getting sucked back into misdeeds or affairs with women who appeal to those darker impulses like Stacy, or confused neurotics like Kelly, who is a mirror of Rex himself in a lot of ways - and not coincidentally IMO, was the woman Joey Buchanan, Rex's rival, tried to find again in his ill-fated marriage to the younger Jen Rappaport. Jen and Joey failed because Jen couldn't give up her wild ways with Rex, and Kevin - who stole Kelly from his brother - recognized the Kelly/Jen identification and called Jen on it after the divorce. Now, Kelly is running away from her responsibilities and her life pressures just like her late younger doppleganger did, and in doing so she is back on the same path Rex and Jen walked together, one generation removed. So why wouldn't Kelly and Rex get together? He sees Jen in her, just like Joey saw Kelly in Jen. But most of all, he sees what Kelly sees in him - less pressure and responsibility, no reminders of mistakes. Likewise, I think Rex and Adriana today would be much more interesting than they were when they were together, because now Adriana is a morally gray bitch on wheels, the kind of person Rex used to be. I could see him being tempted by the new Adriana versus his "staid" family life. That's why I thought Sky Joplin - who was likely originally planned to be Rex's blood brother - made such an interesting, tortured but noble contrast to Rex. He was poised to be the man Rex couldn't for Gigi.

/babbling off

• Members

I am kind of liking the Ford storyline. Eddie is a real dick, but in a weird way I'm loving watching him terrorize his sons lol. It was wrong on so many levels when he made Ford pay his hooker, though ohmy.gif I was like wow....& then he was gloating about how James and Ford didn't have sex tonight but he did. What dad does that?! He is a real trip, so far I can't imagine him softening up and becoming a better person any time soon. He will continue to be obnoxious until one of those guys kills his arse!

Usually I love & root for young couples on soaps but I just can't get behind James & Starr. I find them so annoying...

I really enjoyed Kelly on the roof top making a fool of herself. Those were my favorite scenes today.

I wish a better actor could be in the role of Rex during this S/L..

• Members

I may be in the minority here but I don't like evil Clint. Clint with an edge would be okay but this crap with how he is treating David Vickers and Rex is not fun. Besides, being a perfect match on Shane's marrow search apparently doesn't mean squat in OLTL land. Mitch Lawrence was and he isn't a blood kin. Clint was supposed to be the anti-Asa. A good guy. I wouldn't mind the years making him more of a cynic but I'm not enjoying him being so cruel.

• Members

obviously but she is still his mother. She hasnt seen him since she came back to town in February. Thats 9 months. What mother just drops her kid off at some boarding school and has no contact with him outside of phonecalls for nearly a year? He didnt come to town for summer vacation and she hasnt left to go see him. Bitch should go visit her child instead running around town lamenting about her non-existant love life. He'll probably come back SORASed and hating her for neglecting him

I see she's on a trip to London. Too bad its all about Joey and trying to reconnect with him

• Members

No Teens? Somebody must have been drinking something the day that they edited this show together.

Finally got to see Viki with Natalie, telling her that Rex could be her half brother. I love that Viki isn't convinced that Clint isn't Rex's father. It boggled the mind that Jessica forgot that this isn't her first "Who's the daddy" dilemia.

Dorian and Clint are just pure enjoyment.

I'm beginning to wonder if Inez is not all innocent and sweet like she wants everyone to believe she is.

Marty is C. R. A. Z. Y.

It's a shame that Echo doesn't realize the harm she is doing to Charlie by continuing to lie to him about being Rex's father, he is going to be heartbroken.

Archived