DAYS renewed for 2 more years!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC has the protection of being a totally owned ABCD show, so I imagine there is some creative "massaging" of the numbers to combine the yearly earnings of their soaps in general. And alternatively GH apparently is always over budget, which means it's money quite likely comes from the other two shows. As far as I understand OLTL is the only financially healthy one of the lot.

• Members

It's the situation at ABC which, I think, demonstrates why DAYS deserves its pickup. DAYS doesn't have the luxury of other soap revenue to compensate for budgetary issues. Nor does it have a revenue partner (like Y&R and B&B under the Bell umbrella) to share production costs. DAYS has done it all on its own and it's survived on its own.

• Administrator

Geez, way to ruin the thread, Sylph, with your constant doom and gloom. We don't need this thread to turn into another discussion about what soaps should be replaced with. You can go create another thread, like you always do, about how much soaps suck.

This thread is about celebrating the renewal of DAYS and something good that finally happened to the daytime genre.

• Members

Well, you're generally without intention, so this is not exactly a shocking revelation. I'm sure it's some consolation that you're the best blogger Entertainment Weekly never hired - by way of a backwater soap opera forum, that is, and not an actual blog.

I don't. And tellingly, I am posting on a board entitled Soap Opera Network, which might indicate I have an investment in the soap operas remaining on air. As do you, despite your endless pretensions to attempt to prove otherwise. No one in the real world takes any notice of how many items about anything and everything else other than soap operas you post here, sweetheart. In the final analysis you're just another soap fan on the Internet. No difference. If soaps made you that miserable you'd quit this place. You don't because you're just the same as the rest of the chattel.

• Members

Exactly. This honour can't be too exaggerated, and the fact that NBC gave this as a present on their birthday just adds to the sweetness. Days is the "Little Show that Could", it's the only one to be given a 50% hit in their budget and made it work, that had the courage to fire the DH2 and give story to other characters, and climbed in the ratings when every other show has been steadily moving downwards with only the occasional blip. Of course they have problems - no human creations won't - but their passion and their understanding of good story through family makes them stand alone in the current soap universe.

After so many negative things have happened in soapland, we should all be excited - fan or not - that something so positive has happened.

• Members

I think the show's largely crap nowadays, but the fact that it apparently has gotten a 2-year pickup when it seemed to be skating the edge warrants recognition. Where there's time and space for improvement there is a chance Days can get with the program. Like ATWT and GL (and AW) it is built on a proud history, it's an institution and should be properly maintained and treasured. While it's on the air it still has that potential.

• Members

Did you also predict being stuck on this board for a good 3 to 5 years pantomiming a career in show business in the Off-Topic Movies and TV section of Soap Opera Network? Somehow I doubt you read that in your tea leaves, or meth lab.

The reason you hang around here, the reason you're so busy adopting an air of contempt for all of us - which is actually self-loathing on your part - is because you're too afraid you won't get away with it anywhere else. And you're right to be afraid, because you won't. So by all means, Sylph, don't drop the training wheels. Don't challenge yourself. Just stick around here, post your little articles about much more exciting people than you, and pretend that you're actually challenging all of us instead. Those of us who actually work in the field have more important things to do.

Archived