DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

thanks so much for finding/posting this.

The original Horton house is seems quite different in detail than later years. I'd have to do have a closer look but that is my first impressiom

This is pre Bill Bell but it's interesting he didn't make huge changes, just polished things up for the better.

Alice comes across as quite harsh to me, underneath that caring exterior. Basically saying 'get it together Marie'-no daughter of mine will be weak.

I guess that was more the mood of the times, whereas now a daughter of that age would have anxiety and depression after being triggered by a micro aggression.

Also to see how they cleverly staged the car accident and restaurant scene . In the latter, a couple of extras , some tables and the hint of fancy decor. 

In comparison on Y&R today they just plonk 2 people in an empty restaurant set and it looks awful.

• Members

I had the same thought about Alice and Marie. Then I remembered "get over it" and "you're too pretty to be upset" are mindsets very common at the time (and still now). It's interesting to see this stage in Marie's long mental breakdown. I wish they'd explored that more than just sending her to a convent, but I wonder how much longer Maree wanted to stay in the role. 

Oh I forgot to tag @slick jones for potential updates to your cast lists. Sorry.

• Members

I've been watching Dark Shadows for the past two years or so, and one of the things that's interesting is how they stage things. It's obvious that they spent a lot of the time thinking outside the box rather than inside it. Even if budget is an issue, they're also being lazy about it these days.

• Members

If you think about Alice as a real world person, she went through the Great Depression and WWII. You had to be strong to survive. There simply wasn't the space for weakness and examining ones inner self. 

Marie grew up in far more prosperity and a much safer environment, despite the lingering threat of war. I think this scene really demonstrates the generation gap of that era. Maybe without even meaning to. 

• Members

That's very true, although I feel like this side of Alice is toned down somewhat later on.

Definitely. And we all share the same opinions over and over anyway. I always admire how eloquent some of you are at getting those points across in a way I never could.

• Members

I think a lot of the harsher qualities of Alice's personality had were toned down as she became more and more of the wise grandmother type who'd only appear occasionally. If you read some of the older recaps - especially those from the 60s and 70s (but also sometimes in the 80s) Alice can come across as bordering on overbearing at times.

Edited by te.

• Members

For sure. Reading about her fights with Laura when Mickey was missing, I was like, who is this woman? Not the Alice I grew up with. She seemed much more well rounded and more full as a character and not just Grandma Alice.

I guess people in life tend to mellow as they get older. It would have been more interesting to keep the edge to Alice as an ongoing character trait.