DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

Agree!  Again, your identical twin sister has you committed to a sanitarium and assumes YOUR life (which includes your life with your husband) and you somehow find it in your heart not just to forgive her but accept her back into your life as well?  IDC that Marlena was a practicing psychologist, or that Samantha was too strung out to realize what she was doing.  No rational human being would forgive who'd commit such crimes.

Now that I'm thinking about it, too, didn't Samantha need Marlena's kidney at one point?  If I'd been Marlena, I would've said, "Bitch, find my ass for this kidney!".

Edited by Khan

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sam needed a kidney while Marlena was pregnant lol.  I don't think Marlena gave her the kidney, but wanted too lol.   To be mildly fair, Samantha spent a lot of time in a sanitarium after the life takeover to recover and seemed back to normal.   And Sam did die because Jake Kositcheck thought she was Marlena, so I can see the guilt factoring into it.   I don't really have a problem with the name Samantha for Sami, but Marlena forgave Sam really quickly.   

• Members

Did Ann Marcus write that?  That sounds like some mess Ann Marcus would've done, lol.

(And don't get me wrong, I think Ann Marcus did some very good work on KNOTS LANDING and "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman," but her work in daytime tends to be hit-and-miss.)

• Members

I am not sure.  It's likely.  DJ was born in Feb 1980 and it looks like Ann Marcus wrote through 1979.

It's been years since those Marlena edits were openly available on you tube, but I can remember Marlena wanting to give Sam her kidney and Don and her drs. strongly objecting.  She ended up getting a kidney from someone I believe.  A random stranger?  But her kidney issues were due to her drug use and Don was rightfully annoyed Marlena wanted to give her a kidney while pregnant lol.

• Members

So, not only did Sam take over Marlena's life, but also tried to have her killed/threatened Marlena to her face shortly before Don rescued Marlena from Bayview. I would NEVER have forgiven so quickly, but, again, Ann Marcus and her lightning-fast plotty writing.

The kidney story was Harrower, she took over from Marcus in March '79. Marlena was pregnant with DJ around the time Laura was going off the rails, and there were scenes up on YT of Dr. Jordan Barr and Don trying to talk Marlena out of giving the kidney up to Sam because of the risk. 

• Members

I feel it was a good message for DAYS to have Marlena forgive Sam. After all, life is too short to hold grudges and I feel that resonated with the show's central theme. Further, it led to Sam's redemption. I think a lot of people were encouraged to forgive after that.

Also, the way Marlena's mind evolved during her medical training permitted a sense of empathy AND ability to separate Sam the patient in need of help and Sam her sister. I'm sure the memory of how Sam was before, assuming they got along, helped thr forgiveness.

That's also a good at to stigmatized the field -- having Marlena forgive her.

Please register in order to view this content

I have the bible for the show and the original idea for Julie is a trip. Irna was going to have her get preggers to get her parents attention. They were going to try to convince Tom to recommend an Abortionist and then he was going to rip them a new one for making Julie to have to go to great leangts.

Also, she was going to have a minister's son take the blame so she could live with him and his family so their Christian ways would show her the light and cure her.

• Members

Thanks for the correction about the writers.  Yeah, I have no problem with Marlena forgiving Sam eventually.  It was just very quick and Sam had very little repercussions besides a trip to the sanitarium for awhile.   Sam was living her best life as an actress in Hollywood like a year later?   Who ended up giving Sam the kidney?  I can't remember for the life of me.

Oh, Marlena is very forgiving.  It was just fast.  I have no problem redeeming Sam eventually and her gaining everyone's forgiveness, but Sam didn't really work that hard at it.  

Anyway, really cool stuff you have with that bible.  That's so interesting about Julie.  

• Members

I think I read somewhere that in the end Marlena (and Marlena alone since Roman was presumed dead by this point) offered to change Baby Eric's name but Kim gave her blessing to keep it (I think for her it was a way to reclaim the name from her uncle).

This type of story was a recurring theme in Irna's work, possibly because she herself had a stillborn child at the age of 19 after being abandoned by her boyfriend. For example on GL, Kathy Roberts married Bob Lang, he died and Kathy married the respectable doctor Dick Grant and passed off Robin as his for a time.

• Members

I have never heard that.  It's totally possible, but I have to admit I am not that great with knowledge on post-Roman/pre-John Marlena stuff outside watching the Richard Cates story.  That does seem like something Marlena would do though.  His name is Eric Roman right?  It would be an easy switch to call him Roman Jr. or something.