5 Shows Doing Better Than You Think...

JackPeyton

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The fact that these shows had to be singled out for defense suggests they aren't doing that well at all.

I'm not even sure why Housewives is on the list. People talk about ratings erosion but most know it's a solid performer for ABC and is not going anywhere anytime soon. The real problem with that show is that it squandered most buzz for a horrific second season. The characters who got the most buzz in the first season - Bree and her family - were either killed off or completely destroyed and squandered. The "mystery" of the second season was very poorly told. It just has not been for a long time and will never again be a watercooler show.

Parenthood has bled a ton of viewers since last season -- DVRs weren't magically invented this fall.

Mad Men has declined in the ratings, and Community is just one of many look-at-our-demos-no-really-please-please shows on an NBC which is drowning in niche.

I don't know if anyone thinks Mike and Molly is doing that badly. If anyone objects to the show it's because the show is crap, yet another ode to making fun of overweight people, belched out by some of the most tacky producers on TV.

• Members

Desperate Housewives had over 23 million viewers in the first season and it had a bit more than 12 last Sunday. Half the original viewers left. Not only did it squander the buzz, the show chose a wrong direction in which to develop the characters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

According to wiki, which cites ABC Medianet, DH averaged 23 million viewers its first year. It was gigantic. Last season's average was 14 million. So yeah, huge drop.

In retrospect, I think the main reason why I dropped DH was because they'd spent the whole first season building this atmosphere and these dynamics between all of the characters, and then in the second season, instead of working with the foundation they'd built, they shoehorned another mystery, and then the next season was another mystery, and then another, and then another, and then another. And each one was about a new set of characters we really didn't know yet, while the original characters were given ridiculous side storylines. It was just...annoying, and frustrating, and I found it much easier to stop watching than to continue.

• Members

Well, the 2nd season definitely took the wind outta their sail, but overall I find it highly entertaining and I still tune in. Yes, 23 million is HUGE, especially for a network show in this day and age, but 14 million is also a top contender nowadays.

But yeah, I wonder if their numbers would still be higher if they hadn't dropped the ball so badly in season 2. I thought they regrouped nicely in season 3 and so on.

Archived