Soap Opera First Impressions

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't remember an ad like that. You might be referring to this ad that they did for SciFi when they started showing repeats. They took clips from the character sketches and put them all together:

That might be what you're thinking of. I do also remember Kennylicious and bellcurve in another thread talking about a trailer that was shown during the 1999 Soap Opera Digest Awards that introdued Passions for the 1st time. I'd love to see that preview but couldn't find it anywhere online.

• Members

Ha violin? I remember someone saying it sounded like a dieing elephant.

Agreed with The City--as you know :wub:

No one in my family watched soaps (well, my mom apparently watched Edge of Night while she was home from work pregnant with my brother, but that was before I was born) but AMC used to come on after Sesame Street on CBC here--I remember the book opening, and being intrigued but we were always told soaps were too grown up for us. Then in the late 80s, when I was 7 or 8 my brother was very sick and home from school for a long time and I remember he became obsessed with Patch and Kayla (?) on Days of Our Lives and I prob watched some of that. I also remember Y&R's credits cuz I loved the theme music so much, but never actually tried to watch the show.

Then in 1991 when I was 11, my sister had a friend staying with us who used to watch AMC with her mother, and I was home on holidays for some reason and started watching the Janet in the well storyline. I remember even at that age (I musta been an obnoxious kid) I was snoibby about soaps, but I became instantly hooked and started taping it every day even though my sis never bothered watching once her friend left. That led to watchiung Loving as well within the next year due primarily tot he Carter Jones AMC crossover, and sometime there after I started to notice the gay storyline on OLTL which got me into that too. That pretty much led to me going to the library and reading everything I could find about soaps--and off and on I tried watching the other soaps but nothing really stuck (maybe Y&R which also was on after school here so was easier to catch).

• Members

It definitely was more of that moody style, but that wasn't it (I don't get that station anyway and I distinctly remember it before the original Summer premier, because I have it associated in my mind when I was in a production of Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum LOL and that would be then :P ). I did usually watch the SOD awards though so maybe that was it--or maybe I'm thinking of some print ads?

• Members

ATWT: Grandma's favorite show! Lots of old ladies!

GL: Grandma's other favorite show! Drama!

Y&R: Victuh! Nikkih! Miz Chanceluh!

B&B: Flashy pictures of models and cameras and silky fabric!

And later...

AMC: Snobs! Elegance! Susan Lucci!

GH: Dark! Mob! Violence! Obnoxious!

OLTL: I've never heard of this show!

DAYS: Hourglass!

• Members

Wow.... those PASSIONS promos are beyond brilliant. If the show was anything like them... damn.

The earliest B&B memory I have is James locked up in the secret chamber/torture room and Sheila messing with him. So, lots of craziness lol My grandma used to watch it (whispering the subtitles as she read them slowly lol and she used to "oooh" and gasp at every twist)

And Y&R it's Jill in her office being upset and nervous about something. As soon as that first episode was over, I proclaimed "That was brilliant!!!!"

Btw, please help... that Miguel promo... what's the song that starts near the very end called and who sings? I just can't remember :lol:

• Members

This is what got me hooked on GH..Luke and David Gray. When you are a 14 yr old comic book nerd, seeing this on TV was a revelation

I had started watching earlier in this story but not every day, and then when the action picked up I was all over GH like white on rice (whatever the hell that means)

I think though it was actually Heather Webber that first caught my eye, because she was the closest thing to JR Ewing on the show and I was a big Dallas fan.

• Members

Wow, I knew that the ABC soaps in the 80s often used movie soundtrack music (the oddest choice being Erica's prison break out for Jeremy on AMC using the famous Halloween movie theme), but much of that clip above is scored to Giorgio Moroder's moody synth score to the Cat People remake. Just seems amazing they got the rights to use it so soon (the movie came out in late Spring 1982).

Archived