The View

YRBB

• Members

A lot of people are questioning the value of a college education. It has little to do with being an "idiot." I personally spent over $100K and got a 3.9 GPA at a respected university, only to wind up with a yearly salary that I felt was lower than what I deserved. I then got laid off (as all overhead personnel did) after the company I worked for was acquired by a larger business. Upon looking for other jobs, I can tell you that my degree and GPA meant next to nothing to employers. So, I am soon going back to graduate school, and thus, my whole undergraduate time was a waste. (And the graduate degree may still not lead to a good job; in that case, I will have to study for the extremely difficult CPA Exam.)

If instead, a person decided to skip the enormous cost burdens of college and decided to enter the workforce immediately upon graduating high school, they most likely would have a lot more money than me. Thinking that college is "the only way" is very much an elitist attitude (though I am not suggesting that you necessarily feel this way), and it is also highly outdated, since a college degree really doesn't mean what it used to.

What is wrong with calling people "folks"? It is just a formal way of being polite (that I sometimes use in conversation). I never thought that it referred to rural America. And if it does, so what? Not everybody thinks that big cities are the ideal.

Very little of FNC's airtime is devoted to talking about global warming. I personally disagree with the far-right position that states that global warming doesn't exist. But I also don't agree with the liberal position that seems to suggest that global warming is solely or primarily caused by humans. I personally think there is a middle ground, and that the human effects are combining with natural occurrences in the ecosystem to cause the current climate changes. Sorry if this makes me a simpleton.

Edited by Max

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Same.

Not once have I ever looked to "The View" as a genuine source of news and information. "The View" is a daytime talk show, aimed specifically toward women of a certain age and income. You can't hold it to the same light as, say, "Meet the Press," or even "Today." However, I do expect it always to feature a panel of hosts who are sober and informed, regardless of political, social or religious ideologies. Which is why I so miss the days of Meredith Vieira and Lisa Ling. It might not have been as, um, fun as it is now, but it was a show which treated the average viewer with respect.

Edited by Khan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I can't wait for Barbara to go. Lord she's so annoying. She constantly interrupts and I just adore how Sherri and Whoopi throw her shade when they do. Sherri got so annoyed the audience laughed. Barbara caught it and even questioned it but Sherri played it off.

The show has lost it's edge, honestly. I agree that with Rosie it was the last real attempt and now it just feels like COMPLETE fluff. Not that it wasn't fluffy before, but they at least tried to be serious at times.

I personally think Jenny gets a bad rap. I only really watch it for Whoopi. I don't always agree with her, but for the most part I do.

I also don't think there's that much hate anymore. Star's been back, Debbie's been back. Rosie's been back. It's not going to be a reunion like the Real Housewives have. Wigs won't fly, punches won't get thrown. It's clear that at the end of the day they all respect Barbara. I don't get this fascination with women hating each other.

I miss the days of Meredith and Lisa. Hell, I even miss Joy.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I think college is highly overrated. Either you got it or you don't. Going to college does not equal an intelligent, successful career, if your'e a bit dim to start with, all it turns out is educated idiots. My particular career is not one that requires a degree, although you "could" have one and maybe be a bit more successful. But I went to my school of choice, and talked to the horticulture professor, and once I determined I knew more than HE DID.. I thought "Why?" Why pay tens of thousands of dollars to be taught something by a person who knows LESS than you. What's the point. Save your money, go to the library and teach yourself. That's what I did. You only have to go to college if your'e a doctor or other profession that absolutely requires a degree of some kind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Will miss Barbara....not sure why she's so hated but she's been a constant presence on television ever since I started being aware of the bigger world outside my house. Now as a twenty something year old it strikes me just how long of a history she's had as a journalist. I respect her game and I wish her nothing but the best....