As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

That article makes me sad. I absolutely loved ATWT as kid circa 1990-1995. I think 1994 was good with the Holden/Lily/Damien stuff as well as Orlena and Hans the terrorist with Lily's kidnapping, plus Janice's meltdown and then all of Julie's problems building up until they burst.

Um, one thing though I don't remember Jason/Iva being a big deal. I recall multiple actors playing Jason Benedict and really didn't care for any of it aside from Lucinda's intense jealousy of John being with Iva. Too bad they never brought around John's son M.J. except for a brief time for Parker's custody case. He would have been related to Lily and Dusty too.

Edited by soapfan770

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think they had already fired Lisa Brown by this time hadn't they? I don't remember it being a big story either. I did like Jason, and I was glad to see Iva leave on a good note, but I was so annoyed at Holden taking Aaron from her and at her leaving the show that it really burned me.

Yeah the article is kind of sad to read, although I think the only big mistakes that team made were with Shannon, and overusing Rosanna, and the really bad idea to recast Linc with that wooden and not overly attractive actor, then push Connor into a dull murder mystery.

I have always been annoyed by the huge change at ATWT in 1995 because I never felt like the show was in that awful of shape. Over and over, hacks like Black and Stern, Sheffer, Passanante, Goutman, and then those who are talented but just not suited for the show, like Broderick and FMB, kept trying to fix what wasn't broken. Times changes, but ATWT could have adapted itself - as it had done many times before - and thrived. There is no reason why the show is still not on today.

The part about their ATWT being similar to Marland's style just makes me wonder, as people have speculated on before, how much longer Marland could have stayed at ATWT even if he hadn't passed away. I wish we knew. I think his ATWT was still better than anything which came after but the last year or two did have some flaws, mostly in the new characters.

Of course people have said he was leaving anyway.

• Members

Don't forget Jessica Klein who didnt even last 6 months on the show as HW. You would have thought she'd do a better job since she was a script writer before getting the HW job.

The problem with ATWT after Marland's death was that the show became boring. Nothing was happening. The writers didnt know what to write or do once Marland left them. All the ingredients were still there. Instead of getting someone who knew the history of the show as HW....they totally botched up the show!

• Members

I thought you'd like those two scans...Deas was OK too but I agree Marx was the hottest (at least of the Toms we actually saw onscreen), especially when he had a hairy chest and the beard.

I wish we'd seen a little more of Klein's tenure. What I remember was dumb, like the racism story, but I also liked some of the stuff, such as David/Emily.

• Members

I think for me ATWT went all downhill the moment being the plane crash there in what early 1996 when Damien was "killed", Sam was blinded and Margo got PTS from. I remember being pissed at Damien's death because it was a WTF moment, right after he and Lily had finally found some happiness and peace. The show was still decent with stuff like John vs. Lisa and Carly/Mike/Rosanna but there was more WTF moments. Like Kim's car being bombed. Or Lisa and the Chinese smugglers. Or the intro of Zoe and Sarah. Soon it was all just one big clusterf*ck. What exactly did Klein write during her short stint as HW? I never liked any Damien's returns by the way. The '97 return I was excited about but know I'd like to never speak of it. His '06 and '09 returns pretty much were destructive inside and out. If anyone can explain to me what the whole '01 return was about ie Holden's Malta Misadventures I'd be happy to hear it now because I certainly didn't get it then.

Caleb and Julie went through a lot of drama after getting married, first it was Julie's kids being dumped upon her which was okay but eventually it dissipated. The stuff with Carly was a side show at best.

Carl, I know you've said before about not liking Shannon's return story, but I was wondering how you felt when the show killed her off, and in the manner in which they did--shrunken head and all.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I was not able to watch regularly during any period when Shannon "died." When I started watching again, she was gone. I was sad, since I liked her a lot, and I was confused when characters would talk about her shrunken head.

I still have never seen any of this. I find it strange as she is there up to May 1990 and seems to have no problems or worries. When exactly did she go?

Barbara being pregnant with John's baby. Ben and Camille dating and Camille's mother wanting her to get together with her married ex-lover doctor. Ben being arrested for a mugging, and being persecuted by a racist cop. Molly's schemes to get Holden, like drugging him and filming the two of them in bed. Damien the priest. David bugging Lily's house and being revealed as not really Lucinda's son (I think - that story never made sense to me and I don't know the timeline). Carly's return at the Montana cattle ranch.

I loved Julie and the ransom money story. I have a tape somewhere of Julie going ice skating and seeing "angel" Julie and "devil" Julie. That story, and the scenes with Pete, tapped into Susan Marie Snyder's particular talents in a way which was often overlooked.

I'm going to spare you my rant about the decision to send Aaron to Julie, mother of the year (!) and then having Julie apparently dying for years on end (!!).

• Members

I didn't watch very often at the time but I thought some stuff was OK. I thought Lily was more intelligent - she quickly realized David had bugged her home, and when she saw the "sex tape" of Molly and Holden, she quickly realized Holden was unconscious and she went to a video editor at WOAK and he showed her how the tape had been spliced or whatever, which made her realize Molly had set it all up.

I remember one of the soap magazines talking about how often she worked food and eating into the scripts.

• Members

I had put off watching it since it was my show and the last one.

Yes it was. I hate that Katie got her happy ending but Luke didn't.

Sorry Ryan...I couldn't stand Juicy...ugh..lol

I havent seen ATWT since the second to last episode. Which was what over a year now and I feel like it was yesterday I was watching. Still upset will Reed dying.Luke listening to Reed's heart....tear eyed. Loving Lucinda and John.

Just finished watching the last episode...sigh..it's final over.

Just a few comments from my facebook page with a friend

The show went by too fast. Even to the end it had too much Katie and Juicy. I still didnt care for the Barbara and Henry ending. I am happy Barbara got her happy ending. But I dont buy for a second that Lucinda or Barbara would have given up their companies.

• Members

It's always tough for me to recall that when I started watching ATWT, Margo and Tom had a lot of fun, romantic, silly scenes. At the time, I greatly enjoyed them. This was pre-Internet, pre-knowing anyone else had ever played Margo and Tom, and most of all-pre ATWT draining the life out of the characters to a shocking degree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eugi33WTME&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I love this scene too. Lyla was such a wonderful character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km5TAXZKk9U&feature=mh_lolz&list=FLTYls32YlvSQ