As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I personally didn't care for it, mainly because it degraded both Margo and Jessica so much. I felt the story inexplicably turned Margo into a sex starved bored housewife and at that point in their marriage I don't think Tom and Margo needed another infidelity story, especially not after the mess that was Tom's mid-life crisis and affair with Emily resulting in Daniel. I didn't like the Jessica stuff either--it was sad because Jessica and Ben were trying to have a child together and Jessica had just been raped and lived through all the Marshall stuff so I would have though Jessica to be a lot stronger and smarter. But this was Sheffer's ATWT, and in hindsight judging from his work at Days and Y&R it was a tame woman hating story for him.

Edited by soapfan770

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Same here. Also -- and perhaps, this is just me -- but also, it came off as racist to have Doc, this "big, black, beautiful buck," to quote "Designing Women," become the object of Jessica's and especially Margo's desires. Like all of a sudden, the three were co-starring in a local production of "Mandingo."

• Members

Count me a "no" to that too. It was so out-of-character for Margo to start having sweaty, gotta-have-it-everywhere fantasies, and I really didn't see what either woman would see in Doc. There was a lot more potential between Jess and Marshall before the "nomightmeanyes" rape. And the less said about Margo's sex life, the better.

• Members

Jill Andre is listed as a temp replacement in 68. Dagne stayed until 71. In 75,Sandy was back,played by Ronnie Carol.I imagine that this was short lived and Barbara Rucker took over.

I'm surprised that her son Jimmy was never brought back as he could have been SORASED to be a new young character,who saw Bob as a father figure.

• Members

Some good quality ATWT up from late July 1985.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=902yKkWBgyA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Who was that guy looking at Lily? Was that the stable guy who harassed her?

Shannon looks a lot better here than she did with some later hair and makeup styles.

This is more of the aftermath of Dusty's accident than I've seen on Youtube before.

Kevin is such an odd character...I think Weber was miscast in the role.

• Members

Some of an ATWT episode from, I guess, June or July 1993?

This brings right back just what a chore it was for me at the time to sit through episodes with sour-faced Rosanna and the tedious Lily/Holden sniffing. And Judson Mills is hilariously awful in these scenes, especially the big closeup of his "duh" face when he has a flashback.

But this also has Janice, and I just adored Janice. Also some nice moments with Lucinda/Kirk, and with Bob and Kim too.

• Members

See what happens when we mention Edwina? She shows up in a new clip! In a pantsuit that looks like what Fran's mother on the Nanny might wear for a classy evening out.

Look at all those extras at the Yacht Club.

Holden talking about custody of Aaron enrages me even almost 20 years later.

Who was Janice calling? I don't remember.

The hasty writeout of Scott is mentioned here. ATWT had such a tough year in 1993, behind the scenes. I can't imagine.

• Members

oo.

Who was Janice, that blondie bouncing around in the Snyder kitchen. Its funny, you can see Marland was getting burned out on ATWT, he was just repeating Holden/Lily with Emily etc.

I miss the days of Bob and Kim's exposition scenes...("Well, as I was in the express line at Aunt Mary's Shop n Go, I happened to bump into Emily, who was buying a pregnancy kit with a coupon...Gosh darnit I knew I had one, as I was worried that Lien might need it after her one night stand with John's kid. Anyway, Emily swore me not to tell Brock. By the way did you know that Brock is considering going into business with Damien. That might cause a stir as they were both involved with Emily who now may have a baby on the way. Oh forgot the napkins. By the way, Ellen told me that she might go into making decorative napkins for BRO as now Carly has left....." ) Marland wrote them so well and no wonder Bob and Kim became the center of the show, Hastings and Hays NEVER looked bored with providing support and you feel that they really are invested in not only serving ice tea, but if Lily will be singing tonight at the Falcon club!!!

Judson Mills had to be blowing Marland or someone else, he always looked slightly, uh, like he took the short bus to school!

• Members

The blonde was Debbie Simon, who got on my nerves, although that might have been because of the whole "take off her glasses and she's hot!" cliche.

Janice was Holden's girlfriend, who became nuts when she realized he still wanted Lily, and she poisoned Lily, tried to muscle Kim out of Patterns, etc. I always loved her last scenes, where she sucker punched Andy, maced Kim, etc. Kim had to end up tackling her to the ground.