Anybody own a DVR or DVD recorder?

EricaKane70

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've had a Dual Tape/DVD recorder since last year and the picture when you record it from the broadcast is perfect.

The only problem you will encounter is tapes if you want to make them to DVDs. I bought a tape deck that had mono sound instead of stereo sound and there is background buzz to the sound, like with my PORT CHARLES collection.

But I highly recommend one. And you can skip through the commercials A LOT faster.

• Members

Ok....here is my story about the DVD recorders I bought. My first DVD recorder was a CyberHome. I couldn't wait to get the unit home so I could transfer my old ATWT shows to DVD. By the time the limit for the return policy came up, it stops working, like it wouldn't play, record, nothing. It would keep making noises and say that there was no disc in the machine. So, I went back to Wal-Mart, and got my money back, and bought a new DVD recorder made by Sanyo. Well, it was fine for an hour....until I started recording my ATWT eppy from when Brock Lombard was shot. I see my screen make this weird color thing, like when a station goes off the air for the night, and you get that color screen (forget what it is called) and it stops recording, shuts off, then turns back on, and you have to start over. It was never constant, but lately it started doing that all the time. And just recently, none of my discs would play correctly. It would skip. So, recently, I bought a new one from ilo Technologies which cost me $100, and it works fine. I haven't hit any snags yet, but it does wonders for a small recorder. Plus, the battery that is installed is one of those circle things, and not an alkaline battery. Just thought I through that in there.

I have heard a lot of bad things about a Dual-Deck one, so I didn't get one, but the one I have now works wonders...plus when it does playback, the recorder is nice and quiet. So, yes, it is worth it to have one...just got to make sure that the one you get doesn't hurt you in the process.

• Members

i have a Toshiba with a 80gig hard drive and I LOVE it.

If you're going to get a DVR, especially if you're interested in keeping things. With the HD, you record everything to the HD like you would a VCR, then if ya liked it, keep it. Didn't, delete it. I probably have about 70 episodes of Y&R from the last year. I have entire months of episodes. Same for Days and Passions. Plus I now have all 193 episodes available of Strange Paradise (2 eps lost to the distrubutor).

You can edit out commercials, control how big you make the file size by controlling the bitrate you control on (hint btw -> recording live from TV you can generally record lower and keep quality, if recording from a vhs tape you will need to use a higher bitrate in order to maintain the quality from the tape. Otherwise you'll be looking at peoples whos faces are barely able to be made out.

• Members

I am very impressed with ilo's blank DVDs, but I have been unable to find them since I bought them. I think I have B&B's faked heart attack reveal on those DVDs and the playback is perfect. Memorex DVDs are alright, but sometimes, if I don't finalize a DVD, switch it out and try to burn more stuff on it, it will have a hard time reading it.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Members

I own both a DVR and a DVD Recorder. BOTH are worth it! I can't believe I ever lived without them.

Oh and Na'velle, I can TOTALLY relate to you about CyberHome. They suck! That was my first DVD recorder, too, and mine did the exact same thing as yours. Horrible. I've got another one and have had it much longer and it seems to work fine. Every so often I encounter a little issue where it records fine but skips several minutes here and there. It's probably the DVD recorder being "overworked" LOL, but it could of been the discs, too... anyway...

• Members

Ordered a combo (VHS/DVD/HHD) from Panasonic online but am still waiting for delivery. It's Panasonic's fault, though, it's sold out everywhere.

I'm pissed about this a lot because everyone who has a DVR keeps praising and my TV habits are far too excessive to continue them anylonger without skipping commercials in nano seconds... :D

• Members

does your Pioneer have some TVGuide thing in there that downloads? My friend had a Pioneer and it kept beeping at him while downloading updates. He got so frustrated with it he returned it.

you'll be amazed how much more your archive once you get a DVR.

Archived