2010 Midterm Elections Thread

Max

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I chose to avoid most of the nets especially Fox News like the plague last night, the only I watched was ABC and they mainly had a simple presentation.

Well here in New Mexico we now have our first woman (and first female Hispanic) governor, Susana Martinez beating out lt. gov Diane Denish. The campaign was getting nasty with a lot of weird accusations, namely Denish calling Martinez a Tejana. Not sure what Martinez will do, despite her conservative platform its rumored she's is/use to be a Democrat and was only Republican for election purposes in a conservative part of the state. NM's last GOP gov Gary Johnson turned into a full-fledged member of the Libertarian Party. At least this ends Bill Richardson's corrupt administration. I suppose the King family is laughing with Gary being re-elected. On the other hand, Steve Pearce has his old seat back after resigning to run for Senate in 2008 being losing to Udall.

Well if anyone is curious, Lovejoy lost to current Navajo Nation VP Ben Shelly, with Shelly claiming it is not a Navajo tradition to let women be leader. Which is odd since we are seen historically as a matriarchal leaning culture. On the flip side, it's odd Shelly got elected because now he is facing some serious criminal and ethics charges.

• Members

I am just happy voters had the good sense to reject Carl Paladino, Linda McMahon and Meg Whitman.

Paladino is deranged, Whitman maybe should spend $300 million next time she tries to buy an election, and McMahon is just so unethical and immoral with her personal business, that it would be really an insult to have her represent anybody. She doesn't care how many wrestlers die if the ratings are good.

• Members

Speaking of Connecticut, it's Florida 2000/Washington 2004 all over again.

http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-ct-governor-election-results-1104-20101103,0,6352235.story

Thanks for the insights into New Mexico. Very interesting. I'm sorry that Pearce won -- I guess it's a good thing Heather Wilson didn't run again. I never got over her embarrassing behavior after Janet Jackson showed a nipple.

Republicans won 15 chambers, including both in Minnesota, both in New Hampshire, both in North Carolina for the first time in over 100 years, one in Indiana, one in Ohio, one in Michigan. So expect a lot of gerrymandering to help Republicans keep the House for a long time.

On a more amusing note, Chris Christie in New Jersey appointed a Republican state senator to a higher position, to get him out of the way, as he was union-friendly and supported gay marriage. His seat was taken over by a Democrat, making New Jersey one of the few states where Democrats actually improved their position in the legislature. WTG Chris.

And Republicans in Hawaii lost a senate seat, which means they are now down to 1.

Archived