Black Swan

JackPeyton

• Members

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaI1XOB-bs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaI1XOB-bs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaI1XOB-bs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG. Not only do I love the ballet with every fibre of my being :wub: but I also have a weakness for trashtastic thrillers dressed up as arthouse class! Vincent Cassel, Barbara Hershey in supporting roles.... Can't wait to see this.

One thing: I never realized until now how much Natalie Portman's voice sounds like Drew Barrymore's little-girl whine. Especially in the voiceover at the beginning.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Trailer looks good. Probably my most anticipated film this Oscar season. Portman has major buzz for this performence.... however both Burstyn and Rourke lost Oscars in Aronofsky directed films.... are his films to dark and edgy for the Academy? Never the less cannot wait!

I also agree with Mila.... I am encouraged from the trailer that she actually might be able to pull this off!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

SPOILERS ARE POSTED BELOW!!!

So i went and saw it, finally, yesterday. Let me start of by saying... what the [!@#$%^&*]? i have no idea really what happened, but i loved it. Was it all in her head? cuz through out the movie she starts to "turn" into the swan. The rash in her back, and then the spots on her body, and then finally as she dances. I really do not know.

The scenes between Portman and Cassel were great. It was very sexual and you could tell it was messing with her head. Same goes for the Portman/Mila scenes, and im not sure any of those happened in reality aside from maybe the makeout in the club. The club scene was shot so well. Also, the mother was creepy as hell. Like, she gave on a molester vibe to me. The way she was obsessed with her daughter. I am glad they pretty much showed she was anorexic, and oh man did Portman look it.

The ending was the most confusing. Esp when she stabs Lily and puts her in the bathroom. That apperantly did not happen, and she stabbed herself, and then went on to dance the rest of the play before dying. I guess. Again, i was so confused i was not sure. I really need to see it again.

The shaky camera was anoying but only for like the first 5 minutes. it does a good job of pulling you in tho and making you feel as if you are there.

overall, the movie was perhaps just too over my head. the performances were fantastic though, Mila was really surprising.

• Members

SPOILERS, as well! Sorta.

I was in awe from that first scene, and it didn't subside as the movie went on.

In the beginning, I just thought she was crazy. lol What I got out of it, in the end, is that none of the double/swan/transformation stuff was actually meant to be literal. Unless I am severely mistaken, it was the story of 1) the ultimate sacrifice to one's own art and 2) giving into that dark, scary place that can, and often has, led people to greatness. Therefore, she was battling her evil double that kept popping up because she refused to give into it; but, when by the end, she finally did, she achieved perfection. She became the Black Swan. The end was indeed confusing, but I guess you can still see it as figurative; she could now rest because she was great.

I actually liked the mother; I think she was only obsessed because she could tell that her daughter has some serious [!@#$%^&*] issues and she did mention the incessant scratching. I guess it probably was just a weird dynamic lol

And Mila's character was actually nice. Kinda. lol

Anyway, sorry for going on and on

• Members

Yes, i think you are spot on with it not being literal.

Also, im sorry but the mother was just creepy. I couldnt get past it. But yes, im sure she was worried because she saw her kid was a freakin loon, but i am just sure something she did caused that. But perhaps i just like to "blame the parents" lol.

and Milas character was nice, i do agree.

• Members

Just got back from seeing it and all I can say is W.O.W!! :unsure: I still am not quite sure what the [!@#$%^&*] I just witnessed, but all I know is I was engrossed in it totally. Natalie Portman is just mesmerizing..... the contrast between the "White" and "Black" Swan in her character development is just amazing. The physicality of the role too.... she lived and breathed this role. I really hope she gets the Oscar for this. I too am not really too sure just how literal or figurative the whole thing was. I definitely think everything was pretty much in her head, but they definitely do leave the possibility open to some of the stuff not being.

The cinematography was the best part about the movie. Shaky cam works in this setting because in order for you to appreciate the premise I think you need to feel as you are there experiencing what Nina is experiencing. My stomach was churing during many different scenes and the final 15 or 20 minutes my heart was just absolutely pounding. I need to see it again to make more sense out of it. It was a sensory overload. I'll probably have more to say tomorrow, I am still processing!

Archived