GH: Actress Releases Statement About Being Dropped to Recurring

• Members

I posted one of her quotes in the other thread, but I'm not sure if anyone read it. Plus, I just saw that there was another statement released by her...So I thought I would post this in case anyone was interested in reading it. This is what Leslie Charleson posted on her official FaceBook.

Here first statement:

Her second statement:

Source:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's really a shame there is no soap press to interview these actors for tell alls and scandal. There just is no NY POST for soaps, and unless you are Susan Lucci the mainstream press has never heard of you. What does Leslie Charleson think about all this, and about the state of GH in general? That would be interesting, and hopefully somewhat bitchy!

• Members

Very classy lady indeed. I like to consider myself a person of class and decorum, but if I was on a show for 30+ years and wasted for years, then dropped like yesterday's stale bagels, I think I would have some not so nice things to say about TPTB, and what GH has become.

But I really admire her for keeping her head up and keeping her dignity. She seems like a real cool, classy lady. She would have had nothing to lose by trashing GH up and down, but yet she stayed positive and kept her cool. Really have even more respect for her now than ever.

It's a little heartbreaking in a way. Because when I read it, I kind of feel like she was tearing up as she wrote it...I always had the feeling she genuinely loved playing Monica.

And shame on SID for running that without telling her.

• Members

I don't understand this attitude at all. What does LC have to trash GH about? She had steady work, front burner stories, and good pay (as far as I can tell) for over 30 years. Why on earth would she trash them? ABC is letting her go because it doesn't feel there is a place her any more. No one is owed employment until they die. With the exception of a few, everyone retires on their own or is forced to retire. I don't understand why is supposed to be different for soap actors.

• Members

And I agree, she should be thankful for the time that she had as a focal point of the show for so long. And I'm sure she is. But in all honesty, she, and all of the vets, have been sh*t on for years. Monica hasn't been given a story in years. She is hardly used, as it was, on contract. And if I were in her position, I would resent that. Same goes for JZ and DA.

She was pushed to the back for years, hardly ever used, and treated poorly. She had to watch her costars of 30 or so years be shoved out and killed off. And there was still plenty of storyline for her. There are inumberable ways they could have incorporated her into the mainstraim GH storyline, but they didn't. They don't do it with any of the vets, including her.

So after she's no longer at risk of "losing" anything, she could have spoken out about how the show has gone downhill, lost it's heart, ventured so far away from what made it famous, how it's nothing but violence, how absolutely HORRIBLE they treat the vets, she could have talked about the comments made by writers saying the Q's were being pushed out because they're "fat and old". She could have spoken her mind, and said how she REALLY feels about being so horribly mistreated by the show in recent years. You can bet she's not too happy about it. She seems like a class act, but at the very least, I'm sure it hurt her and offended her.

But she chose to leave with her head held high and I completely admire her for that, because if I were her, I would get together with Jackie Zeman, Denise Alexander, and Stuart Damon and go Vicky Rowell on GH. But I respect them for the dignity they've displayed.

• Members

A class act, indeed.

I was in the target 12-17 year old demographic when I first started watching GH, and FWIW, LC's Monica was one of my favorite characters - battling breast cancer and her dysfunctional family, all at the same time. I wish there were more strong, intelligent, graceful female characters like that on soaps today.

• Webmaster

How disrespectful on the part of Soaps in Depth to publish the news ahead of the magazine. While I get why, considering how many outlets they now have to compete with for news, but come on. Have some respect for her.

• Members

GH seems to have some actors who feel free to complain about some things many years after the fact -- like Steve Burton and the reindeer sweater. I think that there was room to criticize GH if Leslie had wanted to, but she didn't. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Archived