Y&R: Emmy winner leaving the show?

• Members

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/deep-soap/deep-soap-will-kristoff-st.-john-leave-yr-can-brenda-247-save-gh/

Well that is certainly shocking, if true, but I'm glad he left on his own terms if this is the case. Those Tyler Perry sitcoms show there is power in starring on a black cable sitcom these days. In a couple years if this show is successful he could cross over to films like Lamann Rucker and others did. Hmmm...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He shouldn't bet the farm on just a pilot. That worked out well for Aaron Refvem and others who know how tough this business is.

He should just ask time off for the pilot, shoot it, keep his fingers crossed and if he lands the gig, get the f*ck out of Y&R and set himself up for at least four-five years of network/cable television work with this sitcom so he can bank off of DVD sales, residuals, cable/syndication reruns, etc(hopefully the pilot is SAG and not AFTRA).

No one should have to put up with working on a show that doesn't appreciate one's loyalty and contributions.

He will have no trouble getting out of his Y&R contract. 1.) He's black. 2.) He's old. and 3.) Don't forget, he's black.

• Members

Maria Arena Bell and her inept writing team failed him and that entire Winters family especially bad and believe me, they've failed all the characters on this show. Though it's a risky bet whether or not this pilot will get picked up, but I guess he can only take so much of the non-writing Y&R has been dishing out to him recently.

• Members

There was no romance with Ashley. It was yet another filler go nowhere relationship for characters the show has no interest in. The same happened when they palmed Fluckers off on her.

To see them trying to even pretend this story with Sofia will be any different is a joke. They only care about showing a black relationship if it's time to degrade someone, like what happened with the Tyra fiasco.

• Members

Beyond non-writing, it's just degrading trash which is done in a way which reinforces the idea that black characters are pointless. You casually take away Neil's job and any love interest he had and any purpose he had. Then you have fans say "Well he's a loser anyway," instead of actually wondering why he became that way. The only time you do give a story, it's humiliation, like what happened with Tyra.

Rauch does not know how to produce a show worth crap, but he sure knows how to phase out longtime black cast members in a way which gets a shrug from viewers. He did this expertly at OLTL and he has done it here. I am not a fan of MAB or of Sheffer but in this case, based on their past soap histories and his, I tend to put the blame on him.

• Members

I knew this was going to happen. So now we're stuck with all non Winters. Since CKLily turning white, She can be cast as a whole new character. Devon isn't a Winters. & not Malcolm isn't a Winters. They probably make Devon & not Malcolm a whole new family. While CKLily new character can be called Mrs. Snow White Assby(ms).

I wonder how many black viewers he going to take with him.

• Members

Are there any left??

Y&R was #1 because of black viewers. I think it was a whole domino affect with the rest of the CBS lineup. You would think Y&R would keep its african american actors and build a good foundation around them. Instead they bring back fake Malcolm and CK poor ass version of Lily. No Mamie...No Olivia...No Drucilla and now No Neil...but hey they still have Bryton to do those dancing spinning moves he once did on Family Matters.

Archived