ALL--Failed Families

• Members

The Snyder family thread got me to thinking about whole families introduced at some point in a show's history that just never caught on with viewers, just never gelled with the show's tone, and were deemed total failures. The ones that come first to mind are the Kirklands on RH, the Eckerts on GH, the Gregorys on AW (early in that show's run), and the Walkers on SB. What are some others? Were the Sanders family considered a successful family on OLTL in the 80s? How about the Dennisons on Y&R or the Santoses on GL? I know many didn't like the Santos family or the San Cristobel storylines, but they were woven into the fabric of the show. How about the McClearys on SFT? That show was on life support when they were introduced, but were they popular? So what were some other families that were miserable failures?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The McBains on OLTL. After John,they introduced Michael,who was fairly long lasting but Eve and Shannon didn't make much of an impression

In 1980, AW unwisely put the focus on the Holloways. We met Kit, followed by father Taylor,sister Amy, brother Rick and Aunt Miranda.They were all gone by early 82.

The Kasnoffs on ATWT. Again,rather than using the families on the show TPTB decided an all new family was the answer so Mike got a brother Mark,a sister Sara and mother Nora was due to arrive.Only Mike had any lasted for any length of time.

• Members

Oh my God, the Walkers epitomize a family that never caught on & ESPECIALLY never gelled with the show's tone. I could shoot Pam Long for bringing on her pet Zimmer & refocusing the show on her. She was awful, her kids were awful, the only member of that family I even kind of liked was husband Reese. I think in the beginning, they were toying with the idea of making him an abusive husband. I would have LOVED that, if only to watch Zimmer get smacked around a couple days a week. Yes, I know that's an awful thing to say considering all of the truly battered women out there, but Zimmer was a show-killer. Seriously, they had to be the most boring family on the planet and they took over the show & pretty much ruined it.

In SB's final episode, we had Jodie & Reese reuniting & Warren marrying BJ, yet not even a mention of Cruz & Eden, if only to let their fans know that they were together again & spending the rest of their lives that way. I mean, I pretty much knew Walker & Martinez weren't coming back (they weren't asked), but the least they could have done was let Sophia get a call from Cruz saying that he'd found Eden & they were back together.

F U C K you Paul Rauch. To this day, I detest that man for what he did to my show. :angry:

• Members

It's hard to know what to call a family if they are around for a few years, and then just slowly phased out after their time is done or the actors leave. Is that a failed family? Or are you a failed family if you burst onto the scene and are an immediate flop, hastily dumped, like most of the Eckerts? If your family has one or two popular members but no real longevity, like the Andropolus family on ATWT, does that make you a flop? What about the Boudreauxs on GL, who were brought in with fanfare, given pretty much sh!t all to do for most of their decade-long tenure, but Remy and Mel remained a presence on the show (actually Remy had a fair amount of story in the last few years) until its end?

• Members

Days-

The Lockhearts. Bonnie, Mimi, Patrick, Conner (even tho we never seen him!) took the show hostage for awhile. They tried hard to make it happen. Bonnie/Mickey, Hope/Patrick, Mimi/Shawn, they were gearing up for Conner/Abby too. And it all failed. Hard.

Jury is still out on the Hernndez family. I only like Rafe, but it does seem a lot of people like or are coming around to liking Ari too. Gabby is a lost cause tho.

I wish they had invested in the Hollingsworth family. Morgan was great and diff from the rest of annoying twits on the show at the time and Paul was delicious. Paul/Marlena got dropped, he got killed off, she left town. They were also gearing up to tell a story about her mother (it was hinted at Anna).

The Walkers. Faye, Brandon, Taylor, Nicole. Nicole is still around, and a fan fave. But the rest? Forgettable. I am not really sure what the general reaction to Brandon was, i didnt mind him one way or the other.

• Members

Yes,Connor did appear onscreen.

Earlier,Days had the Scofields - Vern, Tanner,Cassie and Brian.

SFT - The Kendalls Lloyd and his kids Michael,Steve,Chase, Alec and daughter TR as well as bitchy ex Estelle.There were several recasts and they were all on the show at different times.

OLTL The O'Neills were introduced as a new major family. Harry and daughters Connie,Didi and Joy.Harry was killed off and Uncle Pete arrived.This was in 84/85.By 86 it was pretty much over for the O'Neills.

AW The Sheas.Harry,wife Loretta and kids Pete,Bridget and Terri.Gone within the year,

• Members

I hated the San Cristobel sh!t, but I loved the Santoses. They weren't a failed family in my eyes. I loved everything with Carmen/Danny/Michelle, and Tony/Marah were one of my favorite GL couples. They really made the early 2000's interesting for me.

The Montez Family on OLTL from last year failed. I only liked Ray.

• Members

I'd like to add the Ramirez family and the Moore family. The extended Ramirez family (Hector, Samantha, Caitlin, Jimmy, Priscilla & Christian) lasted like 2 years and they never played a major part. It's a shame because I actually liked them. Same goes for the Moores. Besides Amber, Becky and Tawny, there were several other family members in Furnace Creek (some aunt named Tilly etc.). Except Amber, they were all gone after a year.

I don't know if you can call the Dominguez family (Tony, Kristen & Zende) a real family, but they were also a big failure.

• Members

Yes! I liked both families. I felt they contrasted the Forrester family well, but all the actors had a chem so i could buy them interacting and what not. Its a shame BB is forever stuck on Ridge/Brooke and a few of their select family members.

• Members

Those damn Rapports on OLTL. Other than Lindsay who I loved, I wanted to shoot them all.

I remember the horrific Walkers from Santa Barbara.

As much as l loved Mike Knasoff on ATWT, his annoying sibllings had to go.

Archived