Y&R Discussion for week of June 28

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It just all depends. It's a gray area to be sure.... but in this case, Lily actively PURSUED Kevin. I just don't subcribe to this idea that your'e a CHILD until until your 18th birthday, and then you magically become an adult overnight. It almost seems like teenagers don't exist anymore. Loretta Lynn was married for 5 years and had 3 children by her 18th birthday, I suppose you can ask her if she was "raped". It's a tangled issue for sure, and interesting to watch played out on screen. But then, we had Alden and Smith writing at the time, and they did some good things. Personally, I think the age of consent should be 16 (Isn't it that in the UK?) I mean, if you can drive, you can screw, ya know? And then younger, I think it should not be stautory rape unless there is enough of an age difference or something like that. But if you choose something like 10 years, then you can ahve a 22 year old having sex with a 12 year old, and THAT wouldn't work. So who knows. I guess that's why laws vary so much from country to country, it's such a difficult thing to wrap your mind around, with no clear cut solution.

• Members

I really don't think things have changed. Teens are still treated as sex object. Look at Miley Cyrus and how the media portrays her (and yes, I know her camp works it). I see a huge difference between statutory rape and pedophilia though. The whole point of pedophilia is that the predator is not interested in people who have gone through puberty. That's a unique kind of evil, imo and it deserves a much stronger sentence.

• Members

No it doesn't "all just depend" nor is it a "gray area".

Statutory Rape LAWS exist for reasons.

So?

She was underage & therefore protected BY LAW.

He is, was & always will be a rapist & pedophile.

Sleep with a child under the age of 18 then go tell the police that you did & THEN see what you "magically subscribe to".

Teenagers exist. Lily & Kevin was NOT a "teenage" relationship.

It was a GROWN adult RAPING an underage CHILD.

She was married BY LAW despite being underage.

Attempting to compare THAT to raping underage children via manipulation & coercion doesn't wash.

Try again.

No it's not.

You just want to give Kevin a free pass cause of his race & his size.

What played out onscreen & the outcome of such was heavily affected by agendas not the least of which being the casting of the victim.

Your "personal feelings" don't matter.

The laws exist to protect children.

Again.

Go have sex with a child under the age of 18 then report yourself to police & see how much "discussion" & "debate" you'll get.

It's VERY clear cut.

Underage CHILDREN are deemed BY LAW not mentally or emotionally capable to make the decision to have sex period.

Teenagers or not.

And those that are underage that want to get married need PARENTAL PERMISSION or JUDICIAL INTERVENTION.

• Members

Especially Women Of Color.

Pedophilia is defined as a psychiatric disorder in adults or late adolescents (persons age 16 and older) characterized by a primary or exclusive sexual interest in prepubescent children. According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), pedophilia is a paraphilia in which a person has intense and recurrent sexual urges towards and fantasies about children they have either acted on or cause distress or interpersonal difficulty. The disorder is common among people who commit child sexual abuse; however, some offenders do not meet the clinical diagnosis standards for pedophilia. In strictly behavioral contexts, the word "pedophilia" has been used to refer to child sexual abuse itself, also called "pedophilic behavior". In law enforcement, the term "pedophile" is loosely used without formal definition to describe those convicted of child sexual abuse or the sexual abuse of a minor, including both prepubescent children and pubescent or post-pubescent adolescents.

Which pretty much defines Kevin though he is an Ephebophile which is basically the same thing.

• Members

In many states he could. I stopped counting at 10 states where the age of consent is 16 without an age gap provision and several of these states have a "mistake of age defense". * I find that pretty shocking. Not as shocking as 13 year olds being allowed to marry in NH though. I don't care who gives permission that is f*cking nuts.

*http://www.ageofconsent.us/

• Members

Wisconsin

Age of Consent 18

Age Gap Provision No

Mistake of Age Defense No

Wisconsin

The age of consent in Wisconsin is 18.

948.02 Sexual assault of a child... 2) SECOND DEGREE SEXUAL ASSAULT. Whoever has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person who has not attained the age of 16 years is guilty of a Class C felony...

948.09 Sexual intercourse with a child age 16 or older. Whoever has sexual intercourse with a child who is not the defendant's spouse and who has attained the age of 16 years is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

• Members

You responded to Alphanguy who clearly was not talking about Kevin/ Lily and doesn't live in Wisconsin with this:

I'm saying he easily could do exactly that. I don't know how you can say this issue is clear cut when the rules are different in different parts of the country. That's pretty much the definition of subjective and not at all clear cut. Does it really make sense to say that someone who sleeps with a 16 year old is a pedophile in NY, but they can so the same thing in Kansas and they aren't? unsure.gif If law makers in different states can't even agree at what age a person has reached the age of consent that sounds like a gray area to me.

• Members

A. Regardless of slight etymology the laws still exist.

B. The difference is still ONLY two years at best.

The issues are VERY clear cut.

The etymology changes but the laws still exist & acting like a 2 year difference (16-18) is such a HUGE chasm that it justifies sexual assault/rape of children is offensive.

No.

Subjective is one ADULT taking advantage of another ADULT.

The law states children (including teenagers under the age of consent in their state included) do NOT have legal jurisdiction to have sex.

That is a fact.

Yep.

And when the dual issues of racism & misogyny aren't factored into your vain attempts to justify rape/sexual assault of women (especially WOC) your assertion doesn't hold.

But they DO agree.

The ONLY real difference is various states have a miniscule 1 or 2 year difference that defines the ability for a teenager to legally be able to give consent to have sex.

It doesn't change that it's still breaking the law & is a punishable offense.

• Members

Yes, that's exactly the point I was trying to make.. there is alot of subjective stuff like that, for instance.. prostitution being legal in Nevada... oral sex being illegal in Texas, etc. and that's waht makes a SL like Lily/Kevin such compelling television, is that internal conflict it creates with the viewer, espcially because she was portrayed as really WANTING it. Dee Dee, I don't why you take all this so seriously, it's only opinions on laws and SL's. Everyone knows that you must abide by laws, whether you think thyr'e right or not... wherever you happen to live.

Archived