The Soapgeist

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am just happy Vanessa Marcil is returning to the GH. Even though I think OLTL is sucking so badly these days I don't want to see it cancelled. I was hoping all three ABC soaps would last at least until SoapNet went off the air in January 2012. We all have been hearing the rumblings about OLTL since it was announced AMC was moving to California. The rumours die down for a bit but they always seem to come back so maybe there is some truth to it. I just don't want another soap cancelled.

• Members

Of course ABC is denying it LOL.

From SOD.com:

There Are No Plans To Cancel OLTL!

Soap Opera Digest investigated the rumor making the rounds at the Emmys last weekend that OLTL is being canceled, and discovered that it's not true! The "reliable source" responsible for getting the gossip started isn't so reliable after all. Contrary to a story circulated at the event, there are no plans to cancel OLTL.

• Members

If I were a big AMC/GH fan I wouldn't be acting so giddy over One Life getting the plug pulled because that just moves those two shows up in the pecking order. OLTL comes in between both shows, and any schedule changes could be disastrous. I would be pulling for OLTL to last as long as possible. Not talking to anyone on this board, just I thought I had after reading comments on other boards.

• Members

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree. I have always wondered what they would do if OLTL got cancelled. The logical thing to do, IMO, would be to launch a new soap, or two half hour ones...But we know that won't happen :(:(

I don't think they would put a talk show or game show inbetween GH and AMC...I think they would probably move AMC to the 2PM slot and fill its old slot with a talk show.

Then, since they know this would be fatal to AMC, they would cancel it after 6-8 months in the new timeslot, but give it 6 more moths on the air..

Then they'd probably fill THAT timeslot with a game show, or two, and leave GH as the sole ABC soap.

• Members

B&B and DAYS aren't safe, DAYS has a slight edge because it is the only soap on their network, and NBC will avoid pissing off the show's rabid fanbase for as long as possible. DAYS could easily undergo another round of cast cuts (Josh Taylor, James Reynolds, and Peggy McCay should not be on contract.)

B&B's demos suck, and now that it wont be in between Y&R/ATWT, I can see CBS dropping for a 30 min. game show remake, and leave Y&R on its own (the show will do fine as a lone soap).

I used to think AMC could go, but I dont know.

• Members

I think ABC is screwed once they cancel 1 soap whether its AMC or OLTL. OLTL comes on in between AMC and GH. Moving AMC or GH to 2 would probably be a disaster and putting a new talk show/game show at 2 that could possibly do worse than OLTL could hurt their precious GH.

I think CBS is going to cool down on cancelling soaps. Theyve already cancelled 2 and pissed off fans. B&B is safe until 2012. DAYS is only safe until next year. Their renewal this year was a no brainer but the ratings have gone back down so Im not so sure what NBC will do.

• Members

I'm sure ABC would love to cancel OLTL. However, they haven't done so because 1.) they don't have any programing to replace it with, 2.) they vehemently denied the show was going to be cancelled in 2010 and will look like fools if they do so, 3.) ABC has always promoted their line-up together (supersoap weekends, crossovers, etc.) and know that there are a lot of viewers who watch multiple ABC soaps and if they piss them off by cancelling OLTL, those fans can rataliate by no longer watching AMC and that would hurt them more than keeping OLTL around, 4.) OLTL is doing the same ratings as GH and AMC, gets better demos than AMC, and I think has the smallest budget of all three shows and, therefore, no real justification on the part of Frons to cancel OLTL before AMC.

I do think it will go eventually, sooner rather than later, just not December.

Archived