May 31 - June 4, 2010

Toups

• Members

If it was all about born again soccer moms and their fear of gays then the ratings would have crashed as soon as the story started. Instead they were fine, they actually increased. Only later in the year when the whole show became about the OTT and somewhat desperate gay wedding story and the absolutely nightmarish Todd/Tea/Danyella the shrieking brat/Ross the canoe killer, one of the worst stories ever on OLTL, and the Stacy baby follies, another of the worst stories ever on OLTL.

I notice that Y&R barely increased from their crash last week. Considering all the hype over Muhney and what a star he is and how brilliant all this is, that's not very good. Perhaps people are finally sick of the stunts.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The problem is that every time the demos spike or the overall ratings go up, people start claiming that the soaps are on the rebound. Other than Y&R's demos, the ratings' spikes are always temporary. Overall, the ratings and demos are trending downwards. At this point, only cutting budgets will buy these shows more time on the air.

• Administrator

People have been saying that for over a year now. The stunts have had no long term affect on the ratings. It's still consistently near 5 million viewers and 1 million in 18-49 viewers and 1.6-1.8 in demos.

• Members

They will probably ask Lisa Bonet to be the new Dru. I hope she makes them shake in their boots...

The ratings seem to be sliding down from where they were last year though, and this was not just a stunt, this was the stunt, since they believe Muhney is a huge ratings boost. If he is, then going up .1 isn't saying much. They have gutted most of their show for months and months now and they get a .1 return.

• Administrator

I think you're insinuations are way off. That was THE stunt? LOL Plus, I don't think MM was even on last week. It's like you're trying to discredit the numbers by saying "ohh...they expected more...ohh.....they didn't get enough of a gain." Nothing big last week happened to warrant that expectation. And being at 1.7 in demos is damn good. They've been in that range all year.

• Members

You don't think they have spent months trying to set the story up for viewers learning Adam was still alive, and the aftermath of that? I thought MAB even went to the press and claimed that the story was a reason for strong ratings, although I might have remembered it incorrectly.

With all the time they have spent hyping this story, for them to lose 3 tenths of a ratings point and then only gain one back at a time when this story is supposed to be hitting its stride, then I think that shows it hasn't been worth their efforts. The last big gimmick they pulled, with Lauren's lookalike Sarah, also caused a ratings slide.

• Administrator

And again, people have been saying that all year. People thought Y&R was going to consistently get mid 4 million viewers or 1.4-1.5 in demos. That's not going to consistently happen very soon. People also said once winter was done, the ratings were going to crash - it didn't happen.

It's not much of a prediction when people don't give a timeline. Anybody can be Miss Cleo and go, "the ratings will fall...in the future." Okay, if you think the ratings will fall, when are they going to fall, how far, and for how long? You're not being much of a prognosticator saying, "Then, suddenly, they'll plummet and that'll be it."

• Members

Didn't they drop when Sarah showed up? I thought Branco even mentioned this in the interview.

Isn't 3.4 near where they were when Griffith was fired and Rauch and Hogan were brought in? Considering all these stunts, that's not where they probably want to be.

• Administrator

I don't know what Branco said. But why do listen to him on ratings stats? ;)

Again, you have to look at the overall, longterm ratings. You can't just pick and choose one week. It took Y&R almost a year to hit 3.4 again (the last time was August 17-21, 2009) and took a "freakish" week for it to happen on May 24-28, 2010 - it wasn't even a normal week.

Archived