Sarah McLachlan new album out June 15th

Adam

• Members

The new single, Loving You Is Easy.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcIqPINH2RM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcIqPINH2RM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcIqPINH2RM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I love Sarah, and am so glad to see her back with a new album.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fumbling was her creative peak, I have to say, though she's had moments that have reached almost as high since. A part of me wishes she'd try working with someone besides Pierre Marchand (who's produced her basically since her second album, Solace), but another part realizes that's exactly part of her appeal, to me and everyone else. I've been a fan since Fumbling Came out and I was a depressed junior high student and my girlfriend got me into her--have seen her a good half dozen times, but I admit, since I've been in my twenties, I think lots of it is loyalty. I don't play her CDs too much cuz I relate them too much time to, well, being a depressed closeted teenager. I never even bought her Greatest Hits, but I see that this release (rather cheaply) includes both new songs recorded for that, so if I pick it up I'll still have a fairly complete collection... That said I'm still looking forward to hearing it, and I wouldn't pass up another chance to see her live.

• Members

I agree with both of you.... she hasn't offered anything new creatively since Fumbling and I'd argue perhaps Surfacing, but I still enjoy her musical style and her angelic voice. Eric, I also was a bit confused as to why both of the new offerings from the Greatest Hits were included on this new LP.... I can't say I've seen that done before by an artist.... you'd think the sessions would have produced 2 more songs that could have taken those spots. I am jelous you've seen her live as much as you have. I'd kill to see her live!

• Members

Living in BC helps with seeing her live--a number have been free concerts, etc. I also went to the first two or three Lilith Fairs (the first one traumatized me as a "straight" 13 or so year old when a group of lesbians complained that me and my friend--a girl--were sitting closer than them :lol:). We actually ran into her on the street the same weekend as one of those--she was very very nice.

I always wish (and I know many fans will grimace at this) she'd explore a more dance/electronic beat. Of course she had a huge European hit with the Delirium song (which is what finally broke her as an artist over there). And I wouldn't want a full electronic album, but some of her more interesting post Fumbling stuff has flirted with that sound--Sweet Surrender (one of her better videos too--she tends to have pretty dull ones, Train Wreck... Or a harder sound on songs like Stupid (another good video).

She does have some of the best covers and bsides out there--both of her bside collections are, I'd argue, stronger than many of her albums.

Adam, I hope you can see her live, she'll prob tour this album quite a bit. Her shows really are good--I was a bit hesitant to see the last one, in an arena after seeing her outdoors or in intimate theatres, but she managed to make it somehow feel intimate, anyway.

• Administrator

I was so into Sarah back in the late 90's - I loved Surfacing. My favorite songs were: ""Building a Mystery," " "Sweet Surrender," "Adia," "Do What You Have To Do," Angel."

And of course I loved "I Will Remember You" (I will always connect this song to Brenda Barrett).

I haven't listen to Sarah's stuff before and after Surfacing though. I should do that whenever I get the chance.

Archived