• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like I said before, Roger Howarth (Ryan) returning to OLTL, or at least working on another ABC soap, is a "lock." And as long as there are other soaps in need of older actresses for short-term/recurring roles, Colleen Zenk Pinter (Barbara) will still have a career.

However, I think Eileen Fulton (Lisa), Kathryn Hays (Kim) and Bob Hastings (Bob) are headed for retirement. Elizabeth Hubbard (Lucinda) might land a job with another soap, or follow Larry Bryggman's (ex-John) lead and concentrate on theater; and Kathleen Widdoes (Emma) might re-focus on theater and the occasional film supporting role as well; but I predict those three - Fulton, Hays and Hastings - are pretty much "done" with the Industry.

Noelle Beck (Lily), Daniel Cosgrove (Chris), Terri Colombino (Katie), Trent Dawson (Henry), Jon Hensley (Holden), Kelley Menighan-Hensley (Emily), Lesli Kay (Felic--, oops, Molly), Billy Magnusson (Casey) Michael Park (Jack) and Marnie Schulenberg (Alison) should have no trouble transitioning to roles on prime-time shows. (Beck, in fact, worked the occasional guest shot on NYC-based shows while raising her family; and she'll probably do that again.) It might be harder for Scott Holmes (Tom) and especially Ellen Dolan (Margo) - and honestly, Holmes is more likely to return to musical and regional theater - but it isn't impossible.

Out of this group, however, Magnusson is the most likely to land a regular role on a series immediately; and Dawson the most likely to carve out a new career in Broadway and Off-Broadway theater, followed by Van Hansis (Luke). And if I were "Law & Order" franchise EP Dick Wolf, I'd look into hiring Grayson McCouch (Dusty) to play the first male ADA on "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," or at least a new cop on one of the L&O shows.

If any WT actors were poised for future film roles, even independent films, it'd have to be Mick Hazen (Parker), Paolo Seganti (Damian) and Eric Sheffer Stevens (Reid).

Julie Pinson (Janet) has said several times how much she and hubby Billy Warlock enjoy life in NYC; so, unless OLTL can't make room for her, I don't see them moving back to L.A. Make no mistake, though, Pinson won't have much of a career beyond the remaining soaps, commercials, and even parts as so-and-so's mother on some silly "teen-com" on Nick or the Disney Channel. Same goes for Maura West (Carly), minus the commercials and other parts. (Frankly, as good as MW is as Carly, I think her agent and/or manager will have a terrible time getting casting directors to see her as more than a "soap actor.")

Finally, I might be crazy for saying this, but I see Jake Silbermann (Noah) and Marie Masters (Susan) eventually transitioning to behind-the-scenes careers as filmmaker and playwright/director/acting teacher and coach, respectively.

• Members

I think they are all capable of landing work. In my opinion, it's more an issue of just how much they want it. Sadly, New York is strapped when it comes to television acting opportunities, but there are indeed opportunities. The thing is, the disenfranchised soap actors and their representation will have to grind to get them the auditions, the boookings. I have a feeling that there will soon be a mass exodus of 20-30something NY actors to L.A., even moreso than the usual crop of actors who did their couple of years trying to amass "respectable" New York credits before moving to LaLaWood. I think the richest pool of NY actors of a certain age will be the theatre and soap folks who've lined their pockets well enough to live comfortably and keep their tristate area homes and be afforded the luxury to work if they want to rather than if they NEED to. I firmly believe that the NY pool will shrink and the folks who stick it out will luck out with booking "all THREE L&O's" et cetera.

Archived