Helen Wagner passes away

• Members

Oh no, not Helen. Please tell me this is some sort of bad dream. :(

I'm just in shock, no, this can't be happening, and with ATWT going off soon. No Nancy for the farewell. :(

RIP Helen Wagner, she'll always be my favourite US soap matriarch, as she's the one I have the longest history with watching over the years.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just a little over a month from the final tape date, how sad. Such a legend, she's the longest running character on television played by one actor.

I know the final tape date is set, but I'm sure they could make some last minute rewrites to incorporate it in. It would be a fitting tribute to Wagner.

• Members

What was so impressive with Helen Wagner is that even though she had played a colder Nancy for many years, when Doug Marland began writing for her, and changed the character to a warmer and less austere maternal figure, Helen was also effortless in this version of the role. And through Nancy, ATWT explored issues which are rarely discussed, like finding new love and happiness the second time around, or when she was unable to take care of Mac on her own.

Today's suits tend to sneer at anyone over 30 but the truth is that these safe, strong mother figures were what helped build daytime up from nothing.

And of course Helen almost didn't even get to play Nancy for more than a few months, as Irna Phillips wanted to recast. Thankfully that didn't happen.

• Members

I think there is about 6 or 7 weeks of taping left. They would have to do some rewrites. It is possible. I'd love to see Julianne Moore return again. Ellen Stewart needs to return too and many others.

• Members

This is so sad. I hope they incorporate this into the show. It would be nice if they extended the show to deal with it, but I doubt that will happen.

It would be a nice way to end the show, bringing everyone back and together for the memorial, and having the last scene be a flashback of her saying something that would be appropriate for an ending of somethning major.

• Members

So sad...I know she was 91, but she seemed to be in good health. :o Such a classy presence.

Not to be rude, but it's odd that Susan Lucci now holds the title of longest-running current performer in the same role on a soap, I believe. So many of our legends are passing on. :(

• Members

This is so sad, so close to ATWT's finale. Her passing will make the show's final days even more poignant. My condolences to her family and friends.

I like to think that her late husband Robert welcomed her with open arms and a smile on the other side, "Good morning, dear."

• Members

I hope they DON'T have Nancy die. The show's death is quite enough for viewers, I think. The idea that Nancy, who's been there since day one, will live on would be comforting to me and I'm someone who didn't grow up on ATWT.

Am I being too kind to ATWT in hoping that they pre-taped the final scene once they heard of the cancellation? They had an opportunity to make something truly special there.

• Members

:( Oh no! Not Nancy. I SO wanted her to be a part of the finale. So very sad. My heart goes out to her friends & family & the cast of ATWT.

I know the Emmys haven't been doing the In Memoriams in recent years but it would be a travesty if nothing is said about the loss of Frances Reid & Helen Wagner. The final two true soap matriarchs have left the building. It's just so sad.

Archived