Y&R Discussion for the week of April 26th

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is a tragedy that so little of the "historical" Y&R remains for us to do this with.

If only we could acquire classic-Y&R. (I know all the reasons this is impractical). If we could, though, I wonder at what era I'd stop buying?

• Members

Bethel was originally auditioned for Chance. I'd have bought him much more as a haunted ex-soldier. AND he seems younger to me than Driscoll...more troubled. I would have bought him more as the boy with the daddy-abandonment issues.

Instead, they put Bethel in this throwaway character (he's still recurring!), and we get that (handsome) lug Driscoll as Chance...not exactly one of daytime's most compelling new characters.

• Members

Chance was never supposed to be a haunted soldier though -- he was always supposed to be a Dudley Do-Right, to make sure we know Chloe can never have with him what he had with Billy. Chance's Daddy abandonment issues were also never important.

Bethel is so generic and emaciated, I can buy him as Kevin's brother.

• Members

If you're gonna bring somebody back from Iraq, why not write him as "dead eyes"?

My wish would have been Bethel's Chance and Mac...two dead-inside broken PTSD folks who heal each other through friendship and eventual love...but always have the demons of the horrors they've seen right behind their shoulders.

But that is SO not how daytime works. and CERTAINLY not Y&R these days.

But you're right. The intent was always "Dudley Do-Right" (ironically, a Canadian Mountie)...and that is so dull it makes me want to scream.

• Members

I'd like Ryder more if half the cast wasn't being neglected and if they didn't create a role specifically for him. The fact that they shoehorned him into the show may be one of the reasons why the Terroni/Mama Bear storylines are what they are.

Were more likely to see Eric Braden shirtless.

• Members

Iraq was just a plot device. I don't think they ever had any real plans there.

I don't even think Ryder is supposed to be dead eyes. I think in the show's mind we're supposed to pity him. It's just he has this weird creepiness that puts me off, like with Billy and Kevin, two others the show sees as ideal.

• Members

Bethel should have played Chance. The Chancellor men have always been dreamy lost souls, yearning for something they cannot have and compulsively drawn to bitch-goddesses.

But this actor, much as like him, is neither the saviour of Y&R nor the symptom of all its problems.

(And I know I just broke my promise to not participate in the Y&R debate, but what can I say? The posts here are always thought-provoking. Anyhoo, I'll leave you guys to it).

Archived