How much lower can Y&R go?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What galls me to no end is the cockiness of everyone involved with Y&R. From Rauch to Bell to the actors.

These people are still under the illusion that this show is still the premiere daytime soap in terms of character driven storylines, impeccable movie level production values, ect.

I am so tired of Bell and her actors telling me that this is character driven quality drama.

And Paul telling me how GREAT the show looks.

These actors need to get their heads out of the sand.

I love Tracey (LOVE HER) but that bulls-it about outlandish storylines like this one on "other soaps" is such a turn off but Y&R is so rooted in relationships so this storyline will be excellent.

YO! Y&R!! Your glory days are long over. It is pretty damn sad if you ask me.

• Members

Well, the ratings have been holding up, so it doesn't shock me that they think they are doing a great job. Maybe this outlandish, completely unrealistic style really is what the majority of fans want? I understand that ratings and quality don't go hand in hand, but when you look at some of the rapid erosion facing many soaps, it really makes me wonder why Y&R is the exception. I suppose it could be the fact that they have a relatively stable cast. Otherwise it defies all understanding.

Where is Mark with his charts when we need him? I'd really like to know for a fact if Y&R is indeed holding up better over the last couple of years.

Either way, it makes me sad that the kind of realistic, (well, mostly) relationship based drama that Y&R used to be seems to be dead. At least in the traditional daytime format.

• Members

I don't think the show will go any lower. Unless of course they go with my theory and reveal that Sheila is actually Mr. Kitty and they go with a magic spell in which Sheila cojures up a potion to escape from Mr. Kitty's body and becomes the third look alike in the Emily/Patty storyline..

Actually, that might be better than this lauren nonsense.

• Members

I don't believe they don't know how shittily they're writing this show. I think they've been tasked with making it so horrible, no one will complain when they stick the knife in for the last time. (I haven't watched in weeks, btw.)

• Members

To some of us, but it seems like a pretty hefty share of the audience doesn't agree. I don't get it. People seem to bail soon enough on other soaps when they don't like what they see, but Y&R seems to be holding up. I guess I'm just trying to some to terms with the fact that this is the Y&R a lot of people want to watch.

I actually don't blame most of the actors who aren't speaking up about the changes in the show, even if they do have issue with it. Part of their job is to promote the show. Most of them are in no position to come right out and say what they think. Not if they want their job. It seems to me the only people who really have the power to speak up are EB, JC and possibly PB. JC and PB have made some comments and EB seems happy. KSJ spoke up and it sure seemed to me he was punished for it.

• Members

That's why they need to be knocked from #1. I think that Y&R watchers with a Nielsen box should either a)tune to Days b)tune to AMC c) Don't watch a soap at 1:00PM at all for a week. And, boycott the freaking trainwreck until they are number 2. Maybe then they will do something to fix this hot mess.

• Members

We also have to keep in mind Y&R gets the lunch audience because of its timeslot in most major markets and the show airs at a time in a lot of Southern markets when people are coming home from school and work (4PM). I honestly think part of Y&R's ratings stability over the years has to do with its fortunate timeslot in some major core markets. If the show had ATWT's timeslot for example, we might be getting very different results.

Ratings didn't bleed under Lynn Maria Latham either, and her show wasn't the most liked various of the show amongst many fans. I don't think quality as a whole reflects people's viewing habits. Some of the most critically panned shows in all of television have also been some of the highest rated shows

Archived