Sign in to follow this  
DRW50

Recovering lost films and TV shows

DRW50   

I know there are the preservation societies for films, but I was wondering if there was any type of website (beyond Wikipedia) which lists a lot of the lost movies or TV shows, and those that have been recovered, what some of the recovered films or TV shows have been. I guess I'm most interested to know whether or not they are still finding lost stuff. I know there is only so much to find but I hate to think that they aren't finding anymore. There are still so many old silent and early sound films, the Our Gang shorts, and so many old episodes of lost TV shows, like Doctor Who, Z Cars, the live anthology shows, et al.

For me the holy grail of lost films is "London After Midnight" with Lon Chaney Sr. No copies are known to exist although there are tons of photographs. Lon Chaney I think might have been the best silent screen star of all, and this was said to be a classic directed by Tod Browning, who was the master of silent macabre. It was remade year later with Bela Lugosi as "Mark Of The Vampire"

SoapDope   

It makes me sick to think of the tons of lost film and TV. Nearly all of the programming from the now defunct Dumont network was dumped in the east river in the 70's.

Daytime TV has suffered the most when it comes to destroyed,wiped or lost footage. I read NBC kept wiping programming till the early 80's. A lot of people have speculated that most of Sale Of The Century's run has been lost except what episodes are airing on GSN. These same episodes are the ones USA reran in the 90's.

I don't even have to mention all the lost soap footage. Another World is a prime example of tape wiping.

Dusty Springfield's 1967 and 1968 series.. "Definitely Dusty",. and "It Must Be Dusty" are all lost, although many audio excerpts exists, along with some Super8 footage from cameras pointed at the TV screen.