Examples of characters that have been on for years but rarely interacted

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did Lauren have any scenes with Ryan McNeil in the 90's on Y&R, cause i have read that she shared some scenes with him in 01 before he died. I kind of think that if Ryan and Victoria had divorced a year or so later (which, i'm sorry to say even with Heather Tom playing Victoria could have happen) Ryan could have perhaps hooked up with Lauren for a while. so did they have scenes together from 1991-1995?

also on Days, has Lindsay Hartley as Arianna shared any scenes with Mark Hapka who plays Nathan? I know there was that striptease thing between, Brady Ari (when felicia terrel played) Nathan and Melanie. But since LH took over they have not been in one scene, which i kind of find odd considering she is suppose to be Melanie's friend.

• Members

I can't remember with Lucinda and Carly but during the time Lucinda and Craig were at war and Carly was working for Craig in her fashion business, they must have had some interaction? Or when Carly, Rose, and Emily were all back from being put in the spa?

Holden and Henry worked together in 1999-2000, when Holden was running WOAK and Henry was Katie's co-schemer in her plans to get rid of Molly and to win Holden. At that time Henry was still written and played as sexually ambiguous, and I wondered if he had some lust for Holden of his own.

• Members

What scenes did Lauren and Ryan share together on your old tapes? The only times i know they were at the same place at the same time was the Masquerade Ball of 1991, and of course the wedding when he was murdered. My guess would be that it was some sort of business meeting for Newman or something?

• Members

Also, while i'm think about it, just out of randomness, did Lauren even get to have scenes with Brenda Epperson as Ashley back then? i've seen alot with her and Eileen Davidson in the more recent years, so im just curious about her and Brenda's Ashley, and also if they were friendly back then.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

On AMC in the early 80s, they essentially had three contingents of characters-stories that rarely interacted. You had Erica in NYC interacting with the Kingsleys and Bogards, with her only PV connections being Mona and Mark. Then you had the Martin-Gardner-Hubbard-Grant contingent in PV that hardly ever interacted with the Cortlandt-Tyler-Wallingford-Sago faction on the other side of town. At least that's how I remember it. I like that soap canvass model, and back then, AMC played all the necessary story beats without sacrificing logical character interaction. I am not a huge fan of umbrella stories that devour the entire cast. I've always found them very manipulative. Inevitably, they become totally plot-driven, as the writers wind up shoehorning characters into the storyline in ways that make little sense for that particular character, just to satisfy or advance a particular plot point.

• Members

Plus, lack of character integration also allows the viewer to leave a lot to the imagination. For example, you could wonder what it would be like if Jesse interacted with Langley, or if Jenny shared scenes with Cliff. For me at least, that enriches the viewing experience. Totally agree regarding McTavish's umbrella stories. I thought the Cambias murder mystery wasn't half-bad, but I found the whole premise of the baby switch absurb. Characters were trashed left and right to make that story move along. I know some people see him as the last great AMC scribe, but I thought Richard Culliton's Proteus umbrella storyline was the single worst umbrella storyline this show has ever told, and was all just an agenda-driven obvious set-up to advance Leo & Greenlee's love story. I thought it was terrible.

Archived