Examples of characters that have been on for years but rarely interacted

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This used to be more of an issue when Bill Bell wrote Y&R. Christine suddenly became involved with the Newmans only in 1996, after years not interacting with them. There were also long stretches of time, years, when I was flabbergasted if Nikki or Katherine left their homes. I don't think Nikki ever met Dru until somewhere in the early aughts.

On Coronation Street, Gail Platt and Deirdre Barlow had been around since 1972-1974 and did not share scenes for over 30 years. Only when their evil children were embroiled in a murder trial did they start to get to know each other, and eventually started going out for a drink and saying things like, "I'm surprised we never got to know each other."

• Members

I guess that was some I missed because of school or something. I know Victoria and Dru were fairly friendly at one time (didn't they both pose in a men's magazine or almost posed in one) but I didn't remember Nikki meeting Dru.

• Members

They were all casual acquaintances & interacted a LOT.

Nikki was at ranch the ranch a lot but she was very well intergrated with the rest of the cast.

The issues didn't begin until TPTB & CBS started heavily pushing their agendas.

• Members

I am sure they interracted in passing over the years, and probably shared a number of scenes during that Maureen Gorman/Maria Grey business.

I think if there are characters on the canvas that don't interract with each other in some capacity (doesn't have to be a storyline) there are serious problems with the creative vision of that show. Soaps are all about being a community and a rich tapestry of interesting characters and stories. In this day in age I guess its not shocking to see characters totally separated from others. Another reason the genre is dying.

• Members

AMC's Dixie and Greenlee almost never interacted, but CadyMcClain and Rebecca Budig are really good friends off camera. I say almost never because there was one scene back when Jake and Greenlee were dating where Jake brought her over to Tad and Dixie's for some kind of Martin Family gathering. Greenlee felt out of place, Dixie and she exchanged stilted hellos, and that was about it. But they definitely never had any scene of importance/substance from Greenlee's 1999 arrival to Dixie's 2002 departure.

• Members

Indirectly. Carlo Hessar's son, Johnny D was obsessed with Tina and his daughter Charlotte was obsessed with Jake, Meagan's husband. I think they might have had some interacting when the Hessar siblings were causing problems for them

• Members

Yeah during the mid-90s Y&R had a major isolation problem. Sure they're was casual acquaintances and some interaction, but storylines themselves existed in their own spheres and worlds. Most notable examples of this include the Blade/Rick story, Nathan&Keesha story, Matt Clark shooting Phyllis's ongoing saga etc. Not that this was a bad thing, but often only a limited number of people were affected.

Andy and Carly on ATWT never interacted at all despite the fact West and DeFritas are married in real life and pop out babies every two years.

• Members

I think they did interact during Andy's last year in his original run, 1995. At that time Mike and Andy were very close friends and I think Andy might have confronted her about her dealings with Mike.

You're right about Y&R. I remember in 1998 when Kay Alden took over SPW praised her for "opening up" the show.

• Members

LMAO! The 1990's, it always amazed me at the way these particular writers couldn't or wouldn't ever spell "Keisha," and insisted on spelling it with the ugly double E. Such as Keesha Monroe and GH's Keesha Ward... even, to a lesser extent, AMC's Grace, Noah and Belinda Keefer.

Archived