ABC: New Yorker's may lose ABC 7 Channel

• Members

Saw this at We Love Soaps, and it pertains to ABC soaps, and probably some of the poster's here:

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2010/03/will-cablevision-continue-to-carry-abc.html#more

As of Monday March 8 soap fans may not get to see their soaps if they have Cablevision and live in Long Island, Westchester, Brooklyn, the Bronx and selected suburbs of Connecticut and New Jersey because for the past two years ABC7 has tried, without success, to reach an agreement with Cablevision to carry ABC7. Why? Because Cablevision’s position is that "ABC7 is worth little to nothing to its business and its proposed offers have been consistently unreasonable and unrealistic." Fans can visit www.saveABC7.com to make their voices heard and for details on how to switch providers.

Below is a copy of an open letter from President and General Manager of ABC7, Rebecca Campbell.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This ALWAYS happens with big media giants and then there's a last-minute save because neither one wants to be without the other. If Cablevision drops ABC, it's highly unlikely that ratings would drastically drop. I'd imagine the use of OTA antennas is probably higher in bigger cities, given that coverage is likely way stronger.

• Members

Everyone I know who has cablevision doesn't care they said drop them, hardly any of them watch ABC-7 anyway and you can see the shows online, if it comes to that.

No one wants to pay higher fees, cablevision charges an arm and a leg already, and isn't ABC-7 suppose to be free.

• Members

Living in Manhattan I can tell you that your reception varies greatly depending on your window exposure. The days of huge TV antennas on roofs is long over so now it would be basically rabbit ears and hoping you point toward the Empire State Building or wherever the antenna is these days. The Greater NYC market I believe represents something like 10% of all TV sets, so if you lost Cablevision ratings would probably drop about 5% give or take a % or two.

• Members

When I lived in the city, I had Time Warner cable which I MUCH prefer to Cablevision which is what I had in Westchester. Time Warner had more channels (especially the little obscure ones that I liked), a cooler display/grid, just overall more bang for my buck. On this evening's news they did a story on this, it was kind of funny, the anchors trying to make it VERY clear that if you have Cablevision it isn't the end of the road, just go to Best Buy and buy a $40 digital converter or switch your cable provider/get a dish, I mean they were giving you step-by-step to keep your viewership. :D

• Members

When we realized that most of the cable shows we watch are readily available online, we ditched the cable (but kept the internet) and bought a converter box and high powered antenna. It feels the same. Except on Saturdays and Sundays when you're stuck in the house and you miss marathoning those VH1 countdown shows. :P

• Members

What do you mean the days of antennas on roofs are over? If you own your property, remember that according to FCC regulations, no Homeowner's association can prohibit you from having a rooftop antenna. But close into town, you can get a "small" rooftop antenna, and simply put it in your attic or in a closet, and you'll get reception just fine, more reliable than rabbit ears. and the picture quality is TONS better, like the difference between VHS and DVD. And for those who live in basement apartments and such, there's other cable providers to switch to.

• Members

They just did an update on the news a few minutes ago and the head of Cablevision has refused to be interviewed by WABC. The signal is scheduled to be cut right before the Oscars on Sunday and Cablevision is saying that's extortion. :o

• Members

Seriously, I think buying a converter box and a good quality antenna plus a standard Netflix subscription has saved me so much money I would have spent on cable. Too bad there's no way around the cost of high speed internet.

Archived