OLTL:Favourite Vicki & Jessica Personality

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Robin was wonderful, and the story brought out so many layers in Dorian, as she at times genuinely cared about Viki and she truly understood Viki for the first time. Dorian was also the key to the beginning and ending of the story, as she splintered Viki, then she was there at the close to support Viki as Viki struggled to put herself back together.

In many ways this story should have been the end of the Viki/Dorian feud, or at least the major feud. Since then they have had to invent contrived reasons for the feud to be revived and more and more it has just seemed like sniping or out of proportion to the real problems in their lives. I wish they had the type of layered relationship they have here.

• Members

I know what you mean Y&R, as they say, acting is reacting, and RS was a great reactor. But more than that, I was drawn to the mystery surrounding her, what she was saying, what she was only half-saying, what she wasn't saying at all (and perhaps still hasn't). It was interesting how they explored what truly motivated Dorian in this whole mess.

Erika Slezak is one of the luckiest (and best!) actresses in the world to have played this stuff. She must have been totally exhausted some days. I wish I had another story like this to look forward to. I'm so thankful for YouTube, but this is a s/l that I would love to watch again full episode by full episode, beginning to end.

See what I mean when I've said that Jack Armstrong was sorta like TSJ as Kevin? :D

• Members

Can't remember which thread, but I was talking about this very issue the other day. The petty stuff that they give Dorian and Viki to bicker about these days seems so trivial and worthless in comparison (well, pouring booze down Charlie's throat was a big deal, still no DID... just doesn't compare to stuff like this). I know I wasn't thinking of this back when this s/l first aired, but maybe subconsciously one of the reasons why I never wanted it to end is because I sensed that it would be the end of Viki and Dorian's great conflict. And you know, it really was. Unless they decide to retcon us to death. If they can drum up another tale, an addendum if you will, that looks and feels like this, then so be it. But since I highly doubt that'll happen, I'll just be content with my memories... and YouTube.

• Members

Yes. Most of all they both wear very tight pants, which helps you appreciate their scenes more...

When Malone came back he did find a way to resolve the feud again, even if he didn't do a fantastic job of it. I just think these women could be so much more to each other as frenemies. Like the way they were written for the end of Robin's first run and most of Elaine Prince's run. The stuff last year with Langston and Markko I think I cringed more than I ever should have to for any Dorian/Viki scenes.

OLTL was smart to have Dorian as the one who first discovered each of the personalities. There were a lot of really strong and complex moments where Dorian had to protect Princess, where she was dominated by Jean, where she tried to figure out Tori.

Robin did have the role of the reactor in the story, and was in a way as much of a gatekeeper as Jean. Erika had the showier role and she ran with it but you almost have to in a story like this. You can't underplay. What made it work so well was there were those quiet moments to contrast the explosions. And the explosions she did have were based on such a logical reason. So Erika was grounded by the writing even in those big acting moments. That's the type of careful writing which was not there for that 2002 mess or any time the show decides to just bring back alters for a laugh.

• Members

The scene where Jean finds the doll in the attic (you can only hear her shock/terror when she finds the doll but it's very effective, especially since Jean is usually so cold) is fantastic, and so are the scenes where Jean begins to crack. Little Hayden Paniterre as Sarah Roberts, asking over and over, basically, what happened to the Viki they knew, and she probably reminds Jean so much of what she was as a little girl -- it really gets to you and you feel all that pain and you can understand why she loses control. I also love the music they use when Jean begins to go crazy.

• Members

Ah, this scene is leading up to the only episode from this s/l that I still have on tape, where Dorian first encounters Princess. The doll makes Princess emerge and she finds her way to the cemetary to visit Eugenia's grave ("I want my mother!"). Dorian goes to see Andrew at the rectory, and she looks out the window and sees Viki huddled outside. The best part is when Dorian's consoling Princess ("Oh my God. Another one.") and Jean suddenly emerges, she goes so cold in the face ("Get your hands off me.") Dorian eventually leaves and Erika Slezak does such an awesome job of playing Jean pretending to be Viki while talking to Andrew. She's right up there with David Canary's Adam pretending to be Stuart/Stuart pretending to be Adam. A great episode, I know I've "bumped into it" on YouTube before too.

• Members

I remember this, she does in fact get all showered and decked out and heads over to David's hotel room. I'm also remembering that Dorian liked to do a lot of business in the back of limos back then. :P She looked so great!

• Members

Those little snippets are great to watch, as you mentioned, Jean and Dorian in the limo, and the cemetery scenes. The one where Kevin and Joey keep asking "Viki" about Victor and Jean can barely control herself, and then when Joey tries to comfort Jean she rages at him. There's a lot of other little moments I also never knew about, like Tommy pushing a shelf on a cop to get Irene's diary.

I know this story must have been much bigger and better on a daily basis (and how many soap stories can you say that about now) but these clips are so addictive. Finding a few I'd never seen before is always like finding that extra Christmas present.

• Members

Oh totally, and with a wonky VCR and afterschool activities I missed chunks too (sad that it's been, what, 15 years since I've actually been *mad* that I missed an episode?). For instance, I don't remember that part about Tommy pushing the shelf over on a cop, that's crazy! I'm going to guess that this s/l came close to what EON fans always talk about, that dark, eerie vibe they got while watching on cold autumn and winter afternoons.

ETA: Wouldn't it be awesome if all the YouTubers with this material got together and created a one-stop megasite for clips... people tend to label and tag differently, it's frustrating when you know you're probably missing more stuff. :D

• Members

Those scenes were so stark, very chilling. Yet not too over the top.

I remember seeing some of the very end of this story, the courtroom scenes, while I was on the way back home after seeing relatives for the holidays. I was watching on some mini-TV that would go out every few minutes.

I wish Nora's sister could return for a visit. I know she was supposedly going to for the Tessica/Bess mess, but of course that couldn't happen...

Archived