Soaps Most Misguided Marriages

• Members

Remember how Nathan and Olivia and Neil and Dru were supposedly mismatched couples? Well bad-seed Malcolm marrying Olivia was mainly the replacement for Nathan after he died and we got the never ending Neil/Dru/Malcolm/Olivia quad(later insert Callie and Alex instead of Dru). Sad, because it had just come off the amazing Nathan/Olivia/Malcolm/Keesha+Dru's involvement and proved the Winters could be as popular and on every day as the Newmans and Abbotts, as well as provide incredible stories for AA characters. As bad as it was, at least the Brad/Olivia affair was something different from the norm.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I felt like that story was a way to reinforce Malcolm's status on the show as a good guy, and also to tie up characters they had run out of story for. Many of those stories seemed very perfunctory and the Callie story was never the same after Michelle Thomas died. It didn't help that I generally found the Neil/Olivia friendship to be somewhat suffocating and I wish they had just had them get together after Dru left the first time, instead of dancing around the issue.

The marriage to Malcolm, and especially the custody battle with him where Olivia was sacrificed, I think it was all a long and slow decline for her character.

Archived