HBO: Game of Thrones

• Members

The Red Viper has claimed his next victim.

I read up a lot on the Escobar case back in the day, and it sounds like a plum role for Pedro Pascal. He'll be head to head with Wagner Moura, who's an incredible Brazilian actor famous for the Elite Squad films who also popped up on American screens as the best thing in Neill Blomkamp's blah sci-fi movie Elysium.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Lena loves being in your face but I find it cute rather than offensive. I'll def give that article a read. I was kinda surprise HBO went so far in exploring that side of him. The books make like 1 or 2 offhand remarks (and that's including excepts from the next book which will prob never see the light of day). So it was refreshing to see that portrayal on screen and have it appear not just in one throwaway scene.

• Members

I was infuriated, which I know I was supposed to be, that the huge coward, Janos Slynt, lived. I was infuriated that I was so scared he would rape Gilly. I'm so glad that didn't happen.

A little too much time spent on talking about Sam's relationship with Gilly, but the battle scenes were first-rate. The emotional resonance wasn't there compared to Blackwater or the Red Wedding, but the fight scenes were truly alive in a way that other episodes haven't always managed.

Glad to see more of Aemon, and that he lived. Glad that Ghost lived, and that he got to rip out some throats. Direwolves ripping out the throats of horrible people is always a good time.

I knew Ygritte was going to die, but my heart still broke for her in this episode, as she was so solemn (and had been for a long time - I don't think her heart was in any of this) and she kept to herself most of the time. She was dead long before the arrow hit her. I do think she would have killed Jon (and that he knew this and was still so happy to see her made me want to cry), but it clearly was not the righteous vengeance she would have wanted.

Rose Leslie has always infused Ygritte with such passion and such integrity, elevating her beyond the manpain/crazy ex trope she could have been. Ygritte was so gutsy and she always challenged her place in a man's world. She's similar to other women on the show, yet also very different. There was something very modern about her. I'm really going to miss my Bianca Jackson Wilding, I truly am. Rose and Kit Harington had such chemistry to the end.

I had a feeling the few "good" Night's Watch guys would bite it, since they'd had more airtime this season than they'd had since the first few episodes, but I was surprised both Pyp and Grenn died. Grenn was one of the hottest guys on the show, so that's a big loss.

I was pleasantly surprised that Alliser Thorne truly did what was right in the end, and had that awesome fight scene. Yay for complex characters.

We don't actually get to see that much of the Jon/Sam friendship but it's clearly changed a great deal over time and has become both more intimate and less intimate. It's a very believable friendship.

I have a books comment, but those just lead to ugly flame wars in this thread, so I'm not going to bother.

• Members

This episode was so so. I like that the show now can afford battles but the crew at the wall is not one the show has spent a lot of time on and consequently I don't really care that Sam's nice frightened friend dies. I don't really recall who he is. In contrast, the scene where Sam frees the wolf to join the battle did put a smile on my face.

Ygritte dying didn't bother me all that much because this love story was pretty brief. The nasty commander finally showing some sense and honor was satisfying.

I don't really understand why the humans won. One moment thousands of people are coming, and then next moment they all decide to call it quits for reasons that to me were unclear.

• Members

That was pretty fantastic. Neil Marshall has done some great films, and his action work on the show is always first-rate. I had been inadvertently spoiled about Ygritte dying over the last week due to some careless browsing online, but I always had a feeling that kid was going to figure in somehow this season, either as the first to die or - as I ultimately surmised - the one to kill her.

I actually really liked the Sam and Gilly stuff. I've always been fine with their little bits, but the stuff with Sam, Gilly and Aemon was particularly excellent, IMO. As was Jon and Thorne's little moment on the Wall.

That stuff in the tunnel, with the giant and the oath, was a real fist-pumping tearjerker. And there were some great jawdroppers, like the moment with the scythe. And Ghost!

Edited by Vee

• Members

I think the show also realized that we barely knew the Wall guys, as Pyp and Grenn have had larger roles this season, to prepare us. I do think the actors made it work in this episode. I was saddened mostly because I liked that group in the first season, and I'm sorry we only got that back as they were about to die. (I know they had to be separated, for plot reasons, in the other seasons).

I wasn't sure how they won either. I assume their leaders being killed or captured scared them into retreat for the night? Were those mammoths killed? I hope not. I want to see Jon or Sam riding a mammoth...

• Members

I think their torching the giants, etc. at the tunnel, knocking the men off the Wall and and going ape on the guys inside (including with Ghost) helped.

But as Jon said, Mance was only testing their defenses. If he'd wanted to pour it on he could've, and probably taken them.