HBO: Game of Thrones

• Members

Arya didn't come across as scary or troubled to me. That is sort of like assigning Oprah sensibilities to an UnOprah world. Her situation would be funny if it wasn't so horrible and I think she just had to step out of herself for a second and see how ridiculous it is that every time she is this close to being rescued/home/returned/whatever, that someone ups and dies on her.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree he wants her on the show....I don't think that's necessarily the case in the books. Wasn't trying to start an argument with you. Frankly I don't know how much of a soft spot he has for Cat. If he loved her so much why did he betray Ned. He knew it wouldn't make her love him. But that's just my take on it for what it's worth. As for the power thing I was just stating it's more obvious in the books to me that his end game is to have some type of power but his actual plans for doing so are less clear.

• Members

I don't believe he'll bring this ship in under 8 books, no matter what he says. That is unless HBO pressures him to do so. Unlike some fans, I really feel bad for GRRM in a way. People get really nasty about how long it takes him to write these books, but it has to be so hard making sure that everything in the books and short stories is consistent. Obviously, he has assistants and cheat sheets for that, but when you've written something like 5,000 pages about Westeros, it has to be a nightmare.

• Members

Sorry to disappoint but I'm not going to do that. There were differences and especially in the Sansa storyline but I'm past the point of caring. All I can do is simply point them out and express my disapproval. To me her storyline isn't interesting anymore since it's lost any sort of mystery and intrigue it had on the books.

And GRRM knows deep down he can't finish the series in two more books. Hence why he should stop with all the TV press bs and get to I dunno actually writing like his profession is?

• Members

That quote has become famous over the years. I have mixed feelings. Ultimately, I think NG is right. Are fans owed a conclusion when they've paid good money over the years for each installment? Theoretically perhaps, but I don't think this sort of creative process can be rushed or forced. I would not have been angry if GRRM had never managed to finish the series. Stephen King, who may be one of the most gifted and prolific genre writers of our time took over 20 years to finish his Tower series.

HBO getting involved changed the equation, I think. It added a little pressure and motivation to the pot for sure. If he doesn't finish it, I think they will finish it for him. Not the books obviously, but this alternate universe will have a resolution of some sort, imo.

Also, there is a ton of money in writing an 8th book. Sure, GRRM doesn't need the money, but how many rich people decide enough is enough when they can get more.