HBO: Game of Thrones

• Members

Meanwhile, I'm just waiting for folks to come to terms with the fact that Daenerys is the final villain of GOT, and that it's been quietly set up for years in various story turns - especially last year, when she touched down in Westeros and proceeded to burn all who would not bend the knee, including House Tarly. Just like her ancestors. Everything Sansa says about her is right, and worse.

Daenerys claims to want to 'break the wheel' of rich and poor, but the only true way to do that is to destroy the Iron Throne and the endless quest for power in Westeros. Daenerys' fatal flaw is that she can't allow that; she must have the throne, it's what she was raised for, it is her defining identity. When push comes to shove she will turn on all her allies and friends and become the Mad Queen. That's why the final battle in GOT will be messy and ugly and between characters we know and love, like Jon vs. Daenerys - not everyone vs. the Night King and his unambiguously evil zombie horde.

It'll piss a lot of people off, but I think it's very true to the spirit of the story.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@DRW50

Theon got the ending he deserved.  I never thought I could forgive what he did in S2, but if this character's name isn't next to "redemption" in the dictionary, it certainly should be.  Shows could learn from Theon's journey.

That battle was some of the best television I've ever seen.  I'm saddened that Jon is still alive, but there's so much more to take away from the eppy so I will keep it moving.  

Sansa and Tyrion's moment was very nice.  

Lyanna went out like a G!  That girl had more heart than the best of them!

Arya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What can we say?  

Do we know yet why The Knight King was after Bran?  Did I miss it?

• Members

As they said last week, Bran/the Three Eyed Raven houses the collective memory of human history. If that was destroyed, the White Walkers could've annihilated the human race without a trace for good this time.

Whether there's more to Bran's vision and plans - and I think there is, as we haven't seen where he warged to all this week - remains to be seen.

They're gonna renew those vows before this is all over, if only because it's good Westerosi business and they get along. Just saying!

Edited by Vee

• Members

After waiting so long for those two to meet again...that was worth the wait. 

Completely satisfied and watched it twice.

Love Arya. 

I know I was yelling BLUE EYES, BITCAS!!!! Once Melisandre remained Arya of what she said when last they met. And then to see Arya lunges out of the darkness!!! God, that was so much awesome!!!

So totally earned. My bar went wild.

• Members

Jon didn't deserve that honor, and his fans are lucky he is still breathing.  Such an overrated character (/actor) and much of the failure of this character is at the feet of piss poor casting.  Kit Harrington is possibly the weakest actor on this show, but give folks the right hair and they will settle for anything! 

Bitter Rob Stark fan here!  

• Members

@Toups

LOL at Chit, but in all seriousness...

I think it worked as a subversion of expectations (Jon's on his way to do it! He'll do it! Then he fails) but the main reasons I think it REALLY worked are these: It provided a purpose and exciting culmination of YEARS of story for that character and, most importantly, the Night King is a powerful, magical creature. Jon would not have had much more luck than Theon did. He may have stayed in the fight a little longer but the NK would've known he's coming from miles away and dealt with him swiftly. Any victory of John's would be like a muggle defeating Voldemort. Nope. The victor, on the other hand, is a highly trained, magic person now. She got close enough almost undetected and then TWIST.

And, to no one's surprise, 17.8 million overnight viewers for "The Long Night."

Edited by YRBB

• Administrator

But maybe it could've been Jon AND Arya.

Please register in order to view this content

To not have Jon be part of TNK's demise was a let down.  They've had two big battles and we waited so long for their final showdown.