• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From the August 2 94 SOD.

Critic's Corner:

As the World Turns On the Comeback Trail

by Stella Bednarz

There's no disputing that AS THE WORLD TURNS has suffered since the death in March '93 of its revered head writer, Douglas Marland. The show followed Marland's story outlines for several months, but then came the inevitable transition period. And despite an outstanding cast, ATWT was...boring. Plots didn't seem to go anywhere. Romantic trysts took a backseat to boardroom tricks. Crucial characters stood around making small talk. But after a frustrating year, it looks like Head Writers Richard Backus and Juliet Packet have their show on the upswing.

There are many reasons to tune in ATWT these days. The most dynamic storyline continues to be the love triangle between confused heiress Lily Grimaldi (Martha Byrne), her smoldering husband, Damian Grimaldi (Paolo Seganti), and her sullen ex-hubby, Holden Snyder (Jon Hensley). When Lily first showed up with Damian in tow, most of the audience was pulling for a Lily/Holden reunion. But charismatic Damian has converted a lot of viewers. This didn't happen overnight. Initially, Damian was mainly style, little substance. But as Seganti grew more confident in the role, Damian became multifaceted. Damian was brought on as a bad guy; presumably, Seganti's popularity with viewers prompted the writers to wisely ensure he wasn't irredeemable. I vote for Damian and Lily, who have more depth than Holden and Lily ever did.

Too bad the smuggling plot involving Damian's mysterious uncle, Eduardo (Nicholas Coster), isn't as engrossing. This has dragged on for for too long with too few clues. By the time the entire story emerges, will anyone care?

Viewers do care about the meaty triangle involving Duncan McKechnie (Michael Swan) and his two wives, Jessica Griffin (Tamara Tunie) and the back-from-the-dead Shannon O'Hara (Margaret Reed), Shannon represents Duncan's devil-may-care past; Jessica (and baby Bonnie) exemplify how Duncan has matured. Duncan is torn between the sense of obligation and the love that he feels for each woman, making this a rich, textured story. (Of course, if Shannon keeps on being annoying, it won't be a tough choice.)

The irrepressible Lucinda Walsh (Elizabeth Hubbard) still reigns as ATWT's most dazzling character, even when she doesn't have a front-burner storyline (which is all too often). Importing son-in-law Craig Montgomery (Scott Bryce) from Montega was a smart move; the Hubbard/Bryce chemistry still hums. And newcomer Brooke Alexander is clicking as Samantha Markham.

Actually, Lucinda has a lot to occupy her time, if you compare her to attorney Tom Hughes (Scott Holmes). He had to tread water while his wife, Margo, was in Washington, D.C., on police business (when Glynnis O'Connor departed the role). Hopefully, Ellen Dolan's return to the part will provide excitement.

Initially, I was underwhelmed with the idea of Emily Stewart (Kelly Menighan) donating an egg so that her mom, Susan (Marie Masters), could have a baby with hubby Larry McDermott (Ed Fry). But this story has taken a lot of tricky twists, such as Susan and Emily's estrangement and baby Alison's prenatal heart surgery. Now, as a desperate Emily (full of insecurities and blonde ambition) is drawn to "her" child, the intensity level is rising in this potent plot.

The outlook isn't as promising for the Evan/Rosanna/Mike triangle, which bears a striking resemblance to the Evan/Rosanna/Hutch triangle. Rosanna (Yvonne Perry) is torn between yuppie Evan (Greg Watkins) and blue-collar Mike (Shawn Christian). Hutch was a farmer; Mike's a mechanic; both are well-built blondes. So far, no steam here. And why does everyone spend so much time talking about cars and cows?

The lack of a viable younger generation is still a problem; most audience favorites are over 40. But the last thing that ATWT needs to do is enlarge its cast - there are already too many people cruising Oakdale in search of a story. I would like to see Dr. Bob front and center. Don Hastings is too good to waste exchanging chit-chat and pouring decaf coffee in the hospital lounge. And corporate shark Kirk (Tom Wiggin) has become a wimp as Lucinda's errand boy and Connor's (Allyson Rice-Taylor) pal. Well, at least there are chic new places to eavesdrop, like the coffee shop and the mall.

The feisty relationship between Drs. John Dixon (Larry Bryggman) and Bethany Rose (Tovah Feldsuh) is beginning to simmer. He's as crabby as ever; she's smart enough not to take his bull. This works, as does the struggle of Mac McCloskey (Dan Frazier) with Alzheimer's disease. Mac's plight tugs at the heartstrings as he and his wife, Nancy (Helen Wagner), cope.

ATWT showcases one of the finest acting ensembles on daytime, and continuity is its hallmark. This show never forgets history. Birthdays and anniversaries are celebrated on schedule; beloved relatives come home for weddings and funerals. The pace needs to be quickened, but the basic elements are in place. It shouldn't take much tinkering to get the show running full throttle.

• Members

Some great Lucinda scenes in this clip. The first is just classic nosy, rude Lucinda (love that she's disappointed in the choice of Stenbeck mole - "Oh...I've never met her") and the second has the Craig/Lucinda relationship I LOVED and miss so much. The first clip also has a great whackadoo scene with Lilith, extended jungle music as we see her contemplate her next insane plan. Lilith is such fun. ATWT at this time, late 1988 -- I wasn't expecting a lot, compared to some previous years, but the collection of genuinely disturbed and evil people along with the various grifters and liars, the lack of morality amongst all the moral lynchpins, makes for very watchable episodes. The angst of Josh and Meg and the Snyder family's tap dance around Tonio is also riveting. Marland's ATWT is more fascinating than I sometimes give it credit for. And it's so consistent.

So who owned Tom and Margo's house before they moved in?

This is also the episode where Hank Elliot came out to Andy - to bad results. And in another part of the episode, Lucinda blackmails Barbara into doing her bidding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFCUQHUR75A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUrQB5R6tRQ&feature=related

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Thanks. I'd always heard about this scene, and maybe scenes to come, in which Andy didn't take too well to Hank's admission that he was gay. Was Hank supposed to move in with the Hugheses?

I was also thinking was how nice it would have been if Marland had done a story like Luke's back in the '80s.

Edited by Jay

• Members

Hank was going to move into the garage apartment that Nancy had lived in before she married Mac, but he and Bob and Kim changed their mind after Andy was upset about him being gay.

I'd like to have seen Marland writing another gay story, yes. This one was pretty bold for 1988 soap standards but could have been a lot more.

• Members

Loved that crazy ass bitch! Marland could be so earnest, but when he did over the top it was so much fun! Didn't she used to send people home in coffins....I just remember Shannon opening one with a note attached, "Your NEXT!" Loved anyone who hated that boring Shannon as much as I did!

• Members

re Bob & Miranda-a total wash-out! This was Bob's 4th marriage,which should have carried him through the 80's,but instead nothing happened and it was all over a year later.

There was story potential if they had have played up their differences and had them trying to make it work. Maybe Lisa could have moved in on Bob and created a rivalry.

re The Dobsons. does anyone know why and when they left. Was it because the ratings didn't budge? Did the writers strike get in the way? Who the h*** was KC Collier,the Dobson's replacement? I have a SOD that mentions 3 new characters-Cody Sullivan,Sofia Korackes and the return of Natalie(now Triandos). Were these the first of KC Colliers new characters?

• Members

Natalie came back for the strike right? Sofia and Cody never seemed hugely popular either.

Thanks for commenting on the Bob/Miranda photo, I was hoping someone with some knowledge of the show then might. I wonder why that was all dropped so quickly. It's hard to believe sometimes that Bob was with these women beyond Lisa and Kim and Susan and Jennifer, as they all seemed to be so forgotten. Too bad they couldn't bring Elaine back after OLTL fired her.