ATWT Tribute Thread

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Another 1985 episode up on Youtube! Can't get enough of these. This one is solid from start to finish but the best part is seeing Barbara lay out her reasons for being sick of being a victim and how she's not going to take it anymore. The reaction from Tom and Margo when she says she's changing her last name back to Ryan is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFdt6SSglPQ

• Members

My favorite Tom and Margo was Marx and HBS. They seemed like they would really go together, which I never got from Holmes and Dolan. Deas just really never worked for me as Tom, he was just too "weird," though he and Colin brought the smoking chemistry..despite the fact they were like Tom and Margo on crack.

This was a great time in ATWT where you see all the transitioning to Marland. Babs taking a stand, the Hughes family coming front and center, the intro of the Snyders and finally, a definition of Lucinda and Lily's relationship. Back then, before everything was focus grouped, blanded out you could really see a writer's particular style shine through as soon as things changed over. Many times this doesnt work with the show but this time it did, big time!

Edited by Mitch

• Members

I keep going back and forth on my feelings about the finale. On one hand, it was very respectful to the show, its history, and its fans. Nothing was outrageous or insulting or ridiculous. But it also felt kind of hollow to me. In some ways -- and I'm sure I will be killed for saying this -- I preferred GL's finale. Sure, it was Ellen Wheelerized to the max, but people moved around, interacted with a variety of other characters, really wrapped up their threads. With ATWT, it seemed like everything was done prior to this last episode, and pockets of characters just spent the hour beating their happiness into the ground.

Anyway, the finale made something stand out to me. For a long time, ATWT has seemed to me like a few different shows stitched together. They didn't do themselves any favors by isolating everyone in weird pockets of four.

I was watching the finale and going, "Lily and Kim are on the same show? Really?" So, question: have those characters ever had any significant interaction? I honestly can't remember. I guess there must've been some overlap during the Hope/Faith debacle, right?

• Members

ATWT fur fashion show, in a February 1986 episode not far from when Doug Cummings takes Kim and Frannie. Always great to see more of this era of the show, especially since there was stuff right before this (when Margo confronted Tom on his "affair" with Barbara) and a bit after it. Kind of hilarious seeing a fur fashion show dumped in the middle of everything. At least they hired some genuine models along with our Oakdale favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5juyGpLe80s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W11fD3lrjPY&feature=related

• Members

I did NOT know that Tonya Pinkins was on ATWT.

Ah, "furs provided by Christie Brothers." They provided OLTL with its furs up until JFP put the kibosh on that.

Kim's commentary is KILLING me. I remember her in a few coats herself over the years.

Frannie is lookin hella glam.

What's up with that key??

• Members

I didn't know OLTL still had furs up to 1998.

ATWT women wore fur quite a bit in the mid to late 80s. I was bewildered seeing just how common it was not just for "bad" Lucinda or for stylish Lisa but even for Kim, who was the true blue heroine. I guess it makes sense though, as ATWT had a lot of sleek, glamourous older women (older meaning 40-50) who could pull off those types of clothes. Seeing Lily in a fur wouldn't have had the same impact.

There's a funny scene right before the fashion show where Barbara wants to change how the lineup goes and tries to overrule Kim and Doug snaps at her and says Kim must be right! It's a glimpse of his obsession with Kim.

Tonya Pinkins was on the show for about 3 years. She played Heather Dalton, who was friends with the younger set (Betsy, then Frannie). She had the old story about the woman who can sing but doesn't want to go into music and has concerns about secular music. She briefly was talked into trying for a music career but then went to law school. At this time she was dating a detective, Roy Franklin. She left the show later in 1986, when her engagement to Roy ended. I'm not sure why. I think it was because she helped his younger sister Nella cover up her pregnancy. Nella was played later by Kasi Lemmons, who went on to direct Eve's Bayou.

The key was to a shrine which Doug kept of Kim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnxgJ_JXJbk

• Members

And all the things she talks about are all the things I could (for the most part,) care less about, constant stupid over the top drama, models acting like Joe Everyman and woman, and "relevancy.' And actually a lot of that has become outdate and cliched now. The trouble that was to come for ATWT is that as soon as it slipped off of No. 1, they threw the baby out with the bathwater..getting rid of Chris and Nancy and the everyday touches which made it ATWT. Marland was the writer who got it right.