ATWT Tribute Thread

• Members

Carl, those are all amazing scans, and I thank you so much for sharing all these things with us.

Marie was and is so gorgeous!

The Kim/Dan wedding is one of those old school ATWT moments I just have to see (which should come as a shock to no one...I'm still looking for more "70s stuff" :lol:). Ethel Remey! Good to see more flattering pictures of her. Carol was delicious in that dress.

I wonder what happened to Kathryn Hays between 1975 and 1977. The very, very brief clip saynotoursoap posted has a very different-looking Kim, as do most pictures from that era and that one clip of her and John at their divorce proceedings. Maybe her hair got smaller.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wonder if she started wearing her hair up more often or just wanted a shorter cut. She had some strange hairdos in the early 80s before she settled on the signature Kim cut she's only varied from a few times since.

I really appreciate your kind words -- I was afraid people might think, "Who cares about this stuff/we've seen this before/this thread is old so there's no point in reading it now." I'm glad you're enjoying it. I have a little more, including a fashion layout with Barbara Rucker (whom I've only seen in that 1978 episode on Youtube - I think she was in that), wearing an outfit that would make Bob Hartley mad with desire. I'm always fascinated by how she managed to hang on for so many years after being taken out of the Hughes orbit, until finally the Dobsons or Bartholomew or whoever wrote her out.

I would love to see the Dan/Kim wedding stuff, like you mentioned. Colenback was the one who started their relationship right, then Reilly took over for a few years?

I was surprised that Alma was still on the show at this time. I wish I could see some of her in action. Not sure if I've seen clips of Judge Lowell or not. Those ATWT vets were hanging on from all the way back. Grandpa Hughes for 20 years, Judge Lowell for over 20, Alma Miller for almost 20. I think that's one of the reasons ATWT meant so much to so many generations.

Is it me or is Marie resembling Joan Collins (the scaled down version) in those photos? The photo on the stairs reminds me of Colleen Zenk.

I don't know much about this Dr. Jim Strasfield, I guess I will have to look more at the synopses from this time.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Yeah, I kinda do see some Joan in Marie, especially in the picture right below the "My Mommy's Marie Masters" title.

I think Alma left the show some time later on in '77. I'm guessing she left on her own, probably because of illness. ER died two years later. As of now, I haven't seen her or the Judge in anything. Claire's in one of those early 60s episodes dealing with the Ellen/Dan stuff, I'm sure. I know Doug is. The sad thing is that even though we still had older characters on the show (whether or not they were used), the way ATWT is structured now, the roles that Alma, the Judge, etc, played back then seem kinda out of place today. They were perfect for when the show was all about coffee klatches and characters really talking and those conversations really meaning something, but we all know that that's just not how it is now. Unfortunate because it would be something unique and different, and it would have a flavor all its own.

I believe Colenback was the Dan who was on the show for several years, left, then came back to finish off the character. According to SOC, he was Dan from 1966-1973 and 1976-1979, so yes, he played the big love polygon with Dan, Kim, Susan, Liz, Paul, John, etc. I can't stress how much I want to see that. Boozy homewrecker Susan! "Rated X" singer Kim! Dirty doctor John! Fell up the stairs Liz!

Keep 'em coming, though. As we get closer to the show's final episodes, it's nice to soak up all that is and all that was ATWT. It wasn't the same when GL left because it had such a segmented history, but ATWT's got those through-lines running all the way from the beginning to today.

Oh, and by the way. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like Eileen was getting some digs in when they asked her what her least favorite storylines were (the way she said "Oh, there's been a couple") and then, I think Goutman was talking about tying the characters' stories, and Eileen says something like "I'm left out" or something. I need to watch it again to make sure I'm not making this up lol

• Members

I remember Eileen thanking Goutman for her anniversary episode (which to be fair was nice to do -- it wasn't great but it did have some nice moments). I hope she got in some digs though. :lol: She deserves that. I still can't believe the whole thing where they suddenly gave a temporary Lisa recast a bit of storyline (Carmen Duncan) because they knew Eileen wouldn't be able to film, or whatever that was.

I'd like to see all that too. Hopefully we will someday...

You're right. I think we saw something slightly similar to this with the Katie/Nancy scenes, but still not quite the same. I'm especially interested in Alma because I wonder what Lisa was like with her mother. Did she resent her mother, were their tensions, or was it a loving relationship, was this woman like Mona on AMC, or was she more like Ada on AW.

I can't help wondering if one of the reasons Lisa was happy at the wedding was because Kim wasn't marrying Bob. :lol:

• Members

I've never really seen Rachel/Ada, so I don't know how much my idea of what Lisa/Alma might have been is similar to those two on AW, but I always imagined Alma, judging just by the pictures, was a real old crone type who didn't put up with any of Lisa's crap and never wasted an opportunity to slap her down when she got too flighty. Nearly everything Mona was not (most of the time).

You GO, Barbara Rucker! She looks like she's up and ready to guest star on all of NBC's mystery movie shows. The fish on that one outfit is just random. "Oh, it's plain, let's just throw a fish on it. With rainbow stripes." To be fair, I do like the blue and white striped top with the white shorts.

Wow, those teeth. I think we've found Chompers's mother.

Soap stars on vacation! Love love love it. I wonder how many of them were into swinging.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Well that Dennis Cooney guy looked like he'd be up for a fun time. :lol:

Rachel/Ada was usually Ada calling Rachel out and defending her if she thought Rachel needed it. ATWT was its own beast though, more restrained, so Alma might have just been a talk-to.

I think that rugby shirt type of thing was very popular at that time.

• Members

I think that is the Hughes living room.

I wonder who some of them were. I don't know Doe Lang or Phoebe Dorin, or a lot of the guys. Was Peter Galman one of the early adult Toms?

I have some more here and there but might post other soaps over the next few days. Thanks for looking at all this though. It was this thread that inspired me to brush off my very rusty scanning skills, this and all the old soap magazine stuff in the main thread.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Phoebe Dorin was the recast Penny who was around for less than a year. Doe Lang is interesting...she seems to be really into speech, communications, and motivational speaking. She has a Ph.D, even. Her Wiki page reads more like a biography from a website, and it says that she played a nurse named Karen Adams from 1968-1970 (the year's probably off). It even says that when the character was written out, a fan campaigned caused TPTB to rehire her.

Peter Galman was the Tom before C. David Colson aka David Cherrill.

• Members

Thanks. For some reason I thought Doe was Penny, she has that Rosemary look.

Fan campaign for some nurse? Huh. Interesting. She still didn't end up staying around that long. I wonder if Irna was gone at that time. I think a fan campaign would have made her kill the character in a very violent death.

• Members

Re Ethel Remey.The wedding may have been one of her last appearances.I get the feeling that for many years,she like William Johnstone (Judge Lowell) were seen sparingly,maybe only a few times a year.There are no mentions of either characters in mid 70's synopses and Lisa was in the thick of things,so you would think Alma would be much more involved.Perhaps she was not too well for years.

Dorothy Blackburn took over the role in 78. Was this to write off Alma?Was she killed off,sent away or just stopped being mentioned?

Jim Strassfield was brought on in 76. He is initially mentioned as being interested in Kim.Obviously nothing came of it as she married Danthe next year.I wonder if Jim was used as a 'utility' player dating Val,Joyce etc

SOD June 76

Kim's friends are quite worried about her. They feel she's becoming a bit of a hermit. The only time she seems to leave that lonely apartment of hers is when she goes to see Carol Stallings or Nancy Hughes. But wait... she may not be flying solo much longer. A new romantic interest seems to be looming over the horizon. In fact, he looms over countless patients at Memorial Hospital right now! Who is this man? It's Jim Strasfield, Memorial's new chief-of-medicine. Jim first became acquainted with Kim during the time he was John's doctor. Right from the start he seemed quite attracted to her. A few weeks after John's release from the hospital, he makes his move. He shows up at the law firm and in a shy, boyish manner (one that definitely pleases Kim) he asks her out to dinner. Kim graciously accepts his invitation.

As for the Hughes house, the one pictured is the original set. Earlier,another poster said it was still seen up to 1980. Any photos I have seen from the 70's always show the kitchen. The 78 ep on YouTube has Chris and Nancy in the backyard.