ATWT: December Discussion

• Members

The problem I had with the Sheffer return characters was they were often the same characters in name only. I thought there was no reason for Block to play Craig. He didn't act like Bryce's Craig, and he had none of the relationships that Craig had with various characters. He used and discarded everyone and had outright contempt for everyone. That meant very early on, after they'd already cycled through the list of characters we were supposed to look down on because Craig did (such as Barbara, Lucinda, Jack), they had to resort to things like killing his son to try to make him sympathetic. And Dusty had no real ties to his past, other than the relationship with Lily. I think they could have just cast McCouch as a man Lily met during one of Lily's absences from the show.

I think they should take the risk and write Lily out. I think the people who would tune out if she goes probably already did when Martha left. ATWT has survive without Lily before, and I feel like they've done all the stories for her they can. I do think Noelle Beck has a strong presence, and aside from the lack of chemistry with Jon Hensley, I think she's done an OK job in a difficult role.

Emily has had so many miscarriages...I think she has three living children. Alison, Hunter, and Daniel, the child she had with Tom about ten years ago. I have no idea why they made Hunter her son with Larry. It must have been one of those ideas they came up with while looking for any random storyline. It was either that or Emily gets abducted by her hillbilly doppleganger.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I disagree about Craig, at least; he was a schemer back in the day as well, but Block's (who had been away for many years) was admittedly much colder. Sheffer just turned some characters up to 11, particularly Craig and Rosanna. For some people, myself included, that worked, for some it didn't. In the end, it's proven hazardous for Craig, of course. But Scott Bryce remains my favorite.

• Members

Sigh...I don't know...

The thing about soaps is you always has this feeling of family, of continuity. It's unique to daytime. Even primetime serials only tap into a tiny portion of that dynamic.

And sure, there were times the old gal disappointed you--but there was always hope tomorrow would be better. You can't say that about primetime...those shows die slow agonizing deaths.

I still can't believe in this day and age, with hundreds of channels, there's not room (or an audience) for fresh daily content.

• Members

Eileen :(

They better do something with Lisa before the end. I liked an appearance of hers a few months ago, where it was implied that yes, she still has an exciting life, and that yes, she still gets out and about and does things. It's just messed up that we never get to see any of that.

And damn the NY Post for falling over themselves to trot out the "these FAMOUS people were on As the World Turns!" [!@#$%^&*]. I don't want to see that again. And I'm sick of people acting like Ming-Na is famous. Ming-Na is not famous!

• Members

I knew it would hit you really hard. You were definitely loyal to the end, more so than I could be. I've missed months at a time over the last few years, due to boredom or frustration, but I do think the show was in an upswing and I hate to see it go. Soaps are a part of our lives more than any regular TV show can be. So many times I've moved and my soaps made me feel at home wherever I happened to be. I guess I knew it was inevitable because these shows are so out of touch with modern life, but it still sucks.

• Members

You know what the sad, ironic thing is? When GL's was cancellation was announced I hadn't watched the show regularly in almost two years, I could have seen it coming from a mile away and such and though I felt bad I still feel it was for the best. As much as I loved GL at one time it was too far gone in my opinion. And now here we have ATWT and I feel bad because the show is nowhere as bad as GL and it was Cady McClain's return which got me watching again regularly after yes a two year break. I don't know maybe I put too much hope into ATWT getting better these past few months with all the small improvements here and there. I'm almost expecting all this news to be one false sick joke but I know it's not.

• Members

I really feel bad for viewers like you, who have decades invested in these shows. Once upon a time, LOL and SFT were seen as just as much as daytime mainstays as ATWT. I can't imagine what daytime TV will look like in 10 years. There aren't even game shows on anymore. How many hours of TODAY and Judge Windbag does TV need?

• Members

There is room. The people who run these networks helped run the soaps into the ground, and they think that the soaps losing ratings means that the serial format, of 5 days a week, months, years, decades, is out of touch. They think viewers are too stupid to be able to do more than watch repeats of Real Housewives.

If they actually created a quality program, put together with care and love and respect, I really believe it would gain a strong following and last for a long time.

I was reading an article yesterday about how turntables and vinyl records are selling bigger and bigger each year now, in spite of being written off for dead ages ago. People find this stuff and see the value of it, even when the elites tell us we should get over it.

• Members

No, they recast Nat a while ago---at least going back to Holden's accident in August. Whoever the new actress is, she looks significantly younger than Ellery Capshaw.

Ironically, Carl---I think primetime is a complete wasteland. Other than NCIS, (and Top Chef) nothing is "must see" tv. ATWT fills a niche. It just pisses me off crap reality shows are somehow "worthy" of being produced, which don't have ONE redeeming social value, yet ATWT isn't.

Archived