ATWT: December Discussion

• Members

Come back! It's really good right now!

Luke's decided he can have two daddies. We'll see what happens when Damian's duplicity is revealed. I was more than a little icked out by his "the kids know you're not sleeping with DaddyNo.1" talk with Lily.

Catfight continues Monday, and it's supposed to be a doozy, if that's of any interest. TIIC seemed to have "discovered" the Friday cliffhanger.

At least Carly's the real winner, getting cash out of Dustmite.

Craig is an ASSHAT. I'm thankful he's no longer on four days a week though.

I continue to love the Carly and Jack moments.

Jammit needs to shut her piehole. Ugh...loathe the woman.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The kissing at the end of Friday's show was a bit nasty to watch but hey

But I'm glad they're finally wrapping this up nicely to show how slimy Craig really is.

How much longer is this Brad ghost story going to last it's really dragging out. Can't wait for a real Lily/Meg smackdown. I loved the scenes between Meg and Molly.

Pam Dixon eh? She was one of Marland's string of characters who were quite connected to core characters but never caught on. She's was largely overshadowed by other younger actresses and she was not a Lily, Frannie, Meg etc. Other examples of this include Amy Hughes, Duke Kramer, Bianca Walsh, and Tess Shelby.

• Members

I always wondered if they planned more with Amy or if she was just a testing ground, like to see if viewers would accept Lien. Did Amy ever have a story of her own? I loved Tess. I also liked Bianca. The actress wasn't great, but it was nice for Lucinda to have a daughter who was drama-free, and she could have eventually become a more central character. I wasn't overly upset when she left but I was upset that she was never mentioned again. She never has been, has she?

ATWT really struggled with the young vixen role in the early 90s. Tess was fun but short-lived, for whatever reason. I liked Marcy but she was also short-lived. Then they made Debbie Simon into a crazy, but I had a hard time caring about her when she was sane or crazy. I don't think it was until Carly that they found their niche. I loved Janice but I guess she wasn't a vixen, she was a full on psycho goddess.

All that stuff with Josh turning out not to really be a Snyder cousin (so Iva and he did think they were cousins when he raped her?) and then Iva not turning out to be a Snyder, all so they could make sure Lily and Holden weren't related, and then Josh getting together with Iva's sister...that was all so crazy. In retrospect I'm surprised they even pulled it off. And while the story made sense, looking back, it's also odd to think that Angel ultimately was married to or had a love affair with all of the Snyder brothers. That must be one of the only times in soap history that a woman who is not a vixen worked her way through three siblings. And then Lily was also with Caleb after she was with Holden.

I guess that's why I was never as bothered with Holden/Carly, in terms of her being his cousin's wife (although the story itself was poorly written). It was small potatoes compared to what used to go on with them.

I wish the show would go up in the ratings. I know it's not perfect but it's better than it has been in several years. I guess a lot of people just don't trust ATWT enough to come back. And GL going probably didn't help either.

• Members

I think people just got tired of Chris Goutman's and Passanante's unwillingness to listen to fan outcry. Goutman said himself he wasnt going to listen to what fans wanted. Well it has cost him big time now. It seems people are enjoying the show but instead ATWT is dropping. Who's fault is that?? Christopher Goutman.

I love all the talk of the good old days. I wasnt a fan of the whole Lien Hughes storyline. The strike was in 1988. The credits would only say story by Douglas Marland. Btw..I loved Frost as Betsy. I wish they had brought her back.

I didn't watch ATWT all this week. I'm just sickened that Goutman put his macho pride first instead of the show.

• Members

Well...

I've heard New Year's. But I haven't seen anything official.

I don't remember Amy Hughes at all...are you talking about Penny's adopted daughter? If so, I don't think she was ever meant to be a permanent character.

Loved Duke, Bianca and Tess. Tess left when Parker Posey decided to do Hollywood. FLOVED her...OMG--she used to snarl at sweet lil Rosanna and bring a smile to my face.

I wish they'd learn from Days' example and slow down the plots. People want to see the plot develop, they want the drama of a HUGE payoff. FCOL, Katie had like three miscarriages this year before delivering her "miracle baby" in four months. As good as Brad's death has been---how much more heartbreaking would it have been to really see him be excited about the baby's birth before dying? And if we'd seen Jack really acknowledge that Brad has changed his life around and really start to get along before Jack shot him? It's sad when you can count the number of times they'd been in the same scene all year practically on one hand.

:(

• Members

I dont remember Amy Hughes either.

Oh how I lobster loved Michael Loudon's Duke Kramer... Bianca was always Lucinda's moral compass...lol. I hated Tess with a passion and Parker Posey...UGH...lol

Goutman learn anything besides what he thinks is right?..ha....Didn't know it but the man has a big EGO.

As I have said in other posts this is my show. I grew up with the CBS shows...Y&R, Capitol, Search for Tomorrow, B&B, GL and my ATWT. I watched Capitol and SFT get cancelled and then GL, which at times loved more than Y&R and was up there with ATWT. But GL hadnt been GL in years so I wasnt upset but sad at its cancellation. I really dont miss it. GL died for me in the 90's. My ATWT had some good moments in 2000 and on....and its still doesnt look what GL did but no seemed to care. Goutman should have fired Jean's a s s long time ago. Goutman should have gotten his act together when the rumors of GL demise were swirling. He should have gone groveling to Byrne to return as Lily. He should have brought together Carly and Jack. Instead we got more nonsense with Janet and Jack. I actually thought I was watching Three's Company. All we needed was Chrissy...but I guess Carly was Chrissy. Goutman made Parker unlikeable. He brought LiberHO to town. The focus was on all the wrong characters and stories. Now Goutman expects people to return after 2 months of transition and supposedly listening to the fans. Oh really?? I think he angered so many fans that they just give up and tuned out! Jack and Carly were/is ATWT future. I am not saying the Hughes or the other Snyders werent but the way things were being set up CarJack were the future. What did we get instead?? Baby story after baby story...with fan favorites being fired...Byrne and Bryce. Putting Parker and LiberHo as the main focus of the show was wrong in so many ways. First, they werent Lily and Holden...second...LiberHo is a newbie and was hated by many who watched. Back to Parker....yes he should have been mad at what his life became but Goutman made him so unlikeable that any pairing with whomever would never have worked ratings wise.

Goutman needs to personally apologize on air for his treatment of the fans and actors. Goutman will be FULLY RESPONSIBLE WHEN ATWT GETS CANCELLED.

• Members

Wednesday:

Paul Leyden has lost his hunkish physique, I see. Oh well. I still love Skatie. I just wish he'd take her off our hands for a while...

The thought that Rosanna wants Carly to be in her wedding is beyond ridiculous. I can't even talk about the idiocracy...

I'm all for CarJack, but Jack really shuts down around Janet. Makes me feel sorry for Janet. You can tell she wants to talk things out and be there for him, but she can't because Jack has his wall up. :(

Everyone in Oakdale understands Brad's death was an accident.....except Liberty. *eyeroll*

I'm confused as to why Carly greeted Craig so snippy. Didn't they leave things on good terms last we saw them? (When they talked over a chocolate bar in a hotel room) Or did I miss a spat between them?

Rosanna's dress is almost identical to the one she wore at her wedding to Paul.

I miss the old Fashions set. :(

Damn....Pinson can ACT?? When the hell did that happen? :P I'm just teasing. I always thought she was good, but up until now, the material hasn't let her shine. I was very impressed by her breakdown scene after Jack left. (My mom cried...hahaha) Even the Janet/Lib scenes were pretty good. The whole "we've made it through this before" shpiel was pretty well written (and acted) stuff.

------------

Thursday:

I flove Margo. Thank God that there seems to be a voice of reason in Oakdale these days!!

Ro told Margo that Craig had proved his trust to her? HOW??????? By giving you some whoopie?

The "Henry set off the alarm" stuff was dumb. How the hell did he manage to do that? *eyeroll* Soooo unbelievable.

Craig has the nerve to call Janet to tell her about Jack moving to Milltown? He's nothin but a little instigator. I think Carly should've just let Jack knock him out... After the fight, though, I was curious as to why Carly wanted Jack to leave? For what reason? He just STOOD UP FOR YOU!!

Brad being all pissy towards Simon would be much more believable if the two had been onscreen (alive) at the same time. But I don't recall them ever meeting??? But still....I'm completely pro-Simon. Up until now, Katie's been able to pull the "I'll say I'm fine, but you know I'm secretly a hot mess" pity party. But now, Simon is actually leading her toward the light. (i.e. encouraging her to forgive Henry and move on) The fact that Brad wants him gone is only looking Brad look more like a tool. <_<

P.S.--Has ATWT actually pulled a soap-"first": a love triangle involving a dead person?!!

------------

Friday:

Lesli Kay and Marie Wilson work very well together. I actually loved their scenes.

I. Hate. Damian. (Can he seriously get ANY MORE slimier???) Luke is stupid for backing the Lily/Damian romance. He's seen the sh*t Damian's pulled, but still keeps letting him back in....

The Janet/Jack scenes were very well written. Excellent dialogue. Very real words.

CarJack was awesome (ITA with PJ's post). And Carly giving Craig the riot act was spot-on. I just hope Carly slugs him in the gonads after the kiss. Guess we'll have to wait til Monday to see.... :P

• Members

So I finally watched the week of episodes. Just going to throw out observations all over the place...lol..my usual posts.

Umm....Isnt it obvious Mick is James?? I am surprised Barbara wouldnt recognize him. How old is Mick suppose to be playing?? It would have been a trip had they hired Andrew Kavovit to play young James. That would have made me real happy.

Henry and Brad...when will it end?? Now in the previews we get Brad going into Henrys body?? Was just shaking my head on that one with rolled eyes. I just want Austin Peck and Brad gone already. He is so annoying. I wouldnt mind a Skatie pairing again. As for Simon....swoon...the guy is still f u c k i n g hot!! Seriously, TC got banged by AP instead of PL or MC??

Loved that we got some Simon and Parker scenes. Enjoyed everything Carly/Jack/Parker...now Parker is acting the way he should be. I loved how he snubbed LiberHo when referring to his relationship being no where compared to Carly and Jack's....LOL. I lobster loved how Jack protected Carly from Craig and NOT because of his jealousy towards Craig but because of his love for her....Yes!!

The break up scenes with Jack and Janet were nicely done. I just dont want Jack to come out as a jerk for leaving Janet.

Terri and Dusty...yawn city...dont know why they are still on the show.

I'm going to love psycho Meg and Lily on Monday. I noticed they didnt spill any of the cliffhanger for them but did spell the Damian is on the floor scene.

I also like Molly and Meg small chat.

And a big YES to no Noah Mayer....he can stay gone for all I care. Luke was decent on Friday and so was Van's acting.

• Members

I looked it up, and the strike was from March to August 1988. It's hard to gauge when it showed up on-screen, but I just remembered that's roughly when Tom Wiggin's stint as Kirk started (May, 88) So I would't doubt the scabs had no clue what Kirk was hiding. Sigh...oddly, I remember LOVING the show right about then, the Kirk/Iva romance was just beginning. I replayed their first kiss so many times, I nearly wore out the VCR. :lol:

• Members

It's always weird when I go back and see clips of Kirk in the jeans and denim shirts, given his attire later on. He seemed very different back then. I do like Kirk/Iva in those early clips.

Lisa Brown was such a good actress but Iva always had such bad luck I never knew whether to commit to any of her love interests or not. I wish they'd let her be happy with someone for a while. The only time she was happy, she was written out of the show.

I'd love to see the full months of writers strikes for the soaps. Like you mentioned yesterday, GL made the Sonni/Solita story confusing beyond belief (Robert Newman said years later fans still asked him to try to explain it). AW put in a lot of filler stories with stuff like Matt Cory's friend and his drug addiction, and a story with a bizarre woman named Chris who was obsessed with John because her husband and baby had died in Vietnam. And they would have random episodes like, look, the dancers from Dirty Dancing are going to bump and grind for us!

I think Michael Louden also showed up then, briefly, or a little bit after that, as a lodger at Sharlene's farm. I don't know what story they planned for him but he never seemed to have anything to do. Then he was transferred over to ATWT, I guess.

He always had such a sincerity to his acting. I still can't believe he died so young.

• Members

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier, that I agree with you, Ruxton Hills, about Lindsay Frost as Beth. She seems very strong to me, yet she can also be vulnerable. I wonder if she would have been more popular if she had not been a recast for Meg Ryan, who was so different from her and was so popular with fans, and one half of a big supercouple. The change must have been so jarring.

I wish Betsy could make a brief return, along with Ellen, perhaps in a way that would finally give us a non-horrific or pathetic storyline for Dani.

• Members

^^^IA, a lot of my dislike for Frost was simply because she wasn't anything like Meg Ryan's Betsy.

Anyway---FREAKIN' LOVED today's eppy. Which is weird because I loathe Jack/Jan and Carly/Craig. But it's obvious Carly and Craig are truly over, Jack and Jan are on the rocks without a paddle or a boat to get anywhere else.

And I can't believe I'm enjoying Damian and Meg's sick, twisted game of chicken.

Now, if we could only get Carly, Ro and Molly to share one scene together, it'd be practically perfect.

• Members

OT: Since you all seem to be very knowledge about the inner workings of soaps. Can someone please explain to me the role of a director on a soap? I am just curious about the rumor about EW coming to ATWT as a director. Is she totally in a powerless position or will she have some control of the scenes or at least the direction of the show? --Thx :)

Archived