Soap Writer dies

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So he left DS for Strange Paradise? That was the Canadian "horror" soap. WoST used to have the last scenes of that.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. He was obviously instrumental in the success of DS.

I did notice a VERY large shift in tone for DS somewhere around 1969/early 1970. I liked it, in some ways, especially in regards to female characters, but it was somewhat jarring. I wonder if his departure was a reason why.

• Members

I wonder if Sproat worked with Lemay at all on Strange Paradise. I remember watching it on WoST as well. Interesting he is the man behind Barnabas' creation. I looked up his IMDB profile and it mentions he also wrote for Never Too Young, a short lived youth soap that aired on ABC and had Tony Dow who played Wally on Leave It to Beaver playing a leading character. Dark Shadows of course was Never Too Young's replacement.

• Members

Sproat wrote the final months (at least April through June) of "Never Too Young," with a writing partner. Everyone got happy endings. The token older characters got married, the older mature sister was married to Brit club owner Alfie and expecting his child, and all the young ones were paired off.

Ron Sproat was one of the writers that preceeded Lemay at "Strange Paradise." He penned episodes when Cornelius Crane was writing the bulk of the scripts at the time. Sproat arrived when Costello switched the location the Carribean to Canada. He may have written a couple of episodes when Lemay was writing, but I don't think it was for very long.

Archived