AMC: James Mitchell Interview

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I worship the man both cuz of his soap career btu even mroe so for his amazing ballet/musical theatre career. He truly is a GREAT and I think a somewhat underappreciated one. (Go youtube the dream ballet in the movie of Oklahoma...)

I was really worried he was on his deathbed when we hadn't heard from him on AMC. I do hope he appears for the 40th anniversary and maybe gets a proper sendoff

• Members

That voice! It's so distinctive. The interviewer, Robert Reid, mentioned his retirement from All My Children, but why wasn't there an official announcement of this? I know it eventually became apparent that he stepped down, but a press release from ABC would've been nice.

• Members

well he eventually says"no" to that. You can hear on this that while he has all his faculties he now needs a little time to process or recall information. I felt a little sad when he didn't know the name of David Canary's character. That said, except for some hearing problems here and there he sounds in excellent shape, has total recall for his entire life and is able to discuss topics effortlessly. I don't know if I want to see a shaky Palmer either in a wheelchair or walking with assistance to be honest.

• Members

As much as I miss Palmer, I don't want to see him in a wheelchair, either. Wouldn't be right for his character!

I wish the interviewer would've asked how it feels to be getting paid for the past year while not appearing once, haha. He's still listed as a cast member in the credits, hence his appearance in the opening.

• Members

I actually CAN'T hear...which is my personal issue...but I sure wish these interviewers would transcribe or at least release print "highlights".

As for Palmer in a wheelchair...what I'd like is for these shows to script exits. They should have sent Palmer off to be with Daisy and Nina. Or (though I wouldn't want that) they should have let Palmer die. This fading away stuff is for the birds.

• Members

From the interview, it sounded like he terminated his contract last year. I guess you can say he is recurring. It has been hinted in the press that ABC has been letting some recurring cast members stay in the credits, Walt Willey, for example.

I guess ABC doesn't want to change the audience's perception of who's in and who's out in the cast. If that's the case, it would be easier to just have a simple opening featuring no cast members.

• Members

If James can't return, then his wishes should be respected. If he can, long enough for a goodbye scene where Palmer says he's leaving Pine Valley to be with Nina or with Daisy or whoever, I wish they would. It hurts to see these longtime characters who helped build AMC fade away. If not for Thorsten Kaye, then we may not have even heard a lot about Myrtle besides, "She's gone." And I'm still disappointed all these years later that Langley never got anything aside from a throwaway line at Phoebe's funeral which implied he was also gone.

Archived