All: Claire Labine Interview

• Members

Her children were heavily involved with her on GH, she admits that.

I'd love to see what Matt and Elanor could do as a team on any of the existing soaps, if Claire doesn't want to return to daytime.

But I did hear just a few years ago Claire was asked if she'd ever return to daytime, and she said she'd like to, but nobody's asked her.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved this, this is how a brilliant intuitive writer views their work of art:

We Love Soaps: But many at the time were very critical of you, and considered the show to be “too depressing.” What do you think of that criticism?

Claire Labine: That’s ridiculous. If they were paying attention, Wally and Rena [Ned and Lois] were turning in some of the most complex and lovely character work which we desperately tried to make entertaining and funny. Ditto Kevin and Mac and Lucy. Hello out there? There was comedy going on!

But I’ve been hideously criticized. I love the audience, I respect the audience. but I’m not writing for audience, I’m writing for me. I’m writing what I want to see those characters do. And if the audience loves it, that’s great. I’m only doing what I can do. I can’t write in response to reactions to the story. And the bloggers, I mean, with all due respect, I love the fact that people get so involved and they have this whole huge network of commentary and criticism. That’s the way it should be. But don’t expect me to write in response to it. Because I can’t. It’s physically impossible since everything is laid out so far and in advance and you don’t go shifting pieces. Or you do, but it’s at your own peril. Besides which if it’s not in my psyche, I can’t write something I’m not feeling.

Well stated

• Members

Hmm, perhaps "depressing" is a little too strong of a word, but I certainly remember being emotionally affected watching that era of GH in high school, especially on dark, cold, rainy afternoons like today. I grew up in the '80s with all of the scary AIDS programs/public service announcements and we had a few family friends who contracted the virus and passed away, I had this almost irrational fear of AIDS as a child ("What about that time Lisa and I kissed in the basement!?"). Never in my life watching a TV show has my stomach sank as much as it did watching the Stone s/l, especially when he went to the eye doctor's and the Dr. said his poor vision was linked to his illness (!). And guess who needed glasses?? :rolleyes: Then Monica's woes on top of it, yeah, depending on where you were in life (for me, a teen who hated going to school every day because of a crazy work load, living with a parent battling depression) I could see how the show could really get you down. AND YET, it was so good, so intriguing, I was so swept in. That was my period of GH fandom, I haven't watched it steadily since.

• Members

Ahh that would be a dream these days when it was reality a decade or two ago. This was the standard for great storytelling

The 80s or the 90s?

In every genre there is always preferences. I think that is real cool. But as per that excerpt I used fromt he interview the most important thing to note about Labine's tenor is she found great CHARCATER and STORY balance. She had the comedic elements intertwined with the dramatic beats. IMO that is how you write soap, maybe the content or even writing style might be different depending on one's preference but good balance of character /plotting---- comedic and dramatic energy is necessary.

• Members

I can't say I'm a fan of Labine's because I've never watched her shows- I was an NBC Daytime viewer in the 80s and have never gotten into GH, though I did watch bits & pieces from her era. Was the Bobbie/Tiffany custody battle done under her watch?

Anyway, thanks so much for such a wonderful interview with a clearly gifted writer. I enjoy reading her insights into the world of daytime and what it takes to write for it. I'm very much looking forward to Part 4.

• Members

I've always liked Tiffany and while I love Susan Haskell, Sharon Wyatt deserved the Emmy that year AND had paid her dues. I still say that was the tightest Supporting Actress race of all-time. You had Wyatt, Haskell, Hilary Edson, Signy Coleman, and Maureen Garrett battling it out. An embarrassment of riches.

• Members

Who was responsible for Sean cheating on Tiffany? I disliked that story and I think that it was the Labines who then wrote them out. It was a mistake because they were a wonderful fun couple that was turned into a drama for no good reason.

As much as I loved the Labine era, I don't think that I would want her back at GH. What I really want is someone to partner with Guza to save him from his worse instincts. Someone who would flesh out stories and give the non-mob characters some airtime.

• Members

Part 4: http://www.welovesoa...-part_4945.html

So Labine knew that Geary disliked how she wrote Luke. Not that I care because I loved how she wrote Luke and Laura. I wasn't fond of how she wrote the Qs a lot of the time, but at least the family was alive and dynamic.

I was glad when that Karen drug story was ended so I am thankful to Claire for that one. It unfortunate that Sonny, Jason and Carly took over GH. The show would be so much better if it was balanced.

Archived